QVC Customer Care

Re: Ohio Gov De Wine Tests Positive For Corona

QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

Just heard on late, late news that he tested negative!  WTH?

Yep.

So how can we believe the numbers? These tests, the processing of them, the reporting, or something is amiss. Or maybe even all of it is.

If the tests aren't any more accurate than this, how can we really know/believe the numbers generated by them? I don't have much faith in the entire thing right now, as far as accuracy and truth. 

The PCR test is the nasal swab and the one most commonly used out in the community setting.  It is pretty accurate.  

The one for which Gov. DeWine tested positive is the rapid antigen test and is not known for its accuracy at this point.   

DeWine had to submit to the rapid antigen test because that is what was required of him.  That is the protocol this particular administration is using & requires.  They also use them in point of care service where they really need to have some type of an answer for patient care fairly quickly.  Health care providers are instructed that if this one comes back negative and concerns of coronavirus remain or persist, to retest again.  Most providers I know proceed to assume the patient is positive in regard to protecting providers and others coming into contact with the patient.  Then they retest at a later time. 

BTW, there is no single test of any kind out there that is 100% accurate.  This is especially true of at home tests that people can perfrom, including pregnancy tests.  No matter what the marketing out there claims, all tests have some level of false negative or false positive potentials.  

I think you can generally rely on the numbers of cases that are being reported.  Doesn't mean that they are exact for sure.  Including that some people that are asymptomatic are never identified or tested period.   So if anything, the number of cases is higher than the stated number of cases.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Not really seeing the irony here. 

@GenXmuse   Neither am I because in a few hours he had a second test that turned out negative.

Since it was announced he would second test, all this was just jumping to conclusions.

She's always in a rush to be the first to post about everything and it leads to mistakes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The rapid test he took was by Quidel Corporation and he took it at a mobile testing site at a local university.  It was arranged for him but I can't say by whom or the post will get deleted.  But he didn't arrange it himself.

Out of an abundanceof caution, another test will be performed tomorrow.   

There have been many news sources that have said his false positive and false positives in general are not counted in the number of cases.  There were a lot of people asking that question on social media yesterday. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

The governor has been retested and it came back negative. Well wishes to him and his wife.

@JaneMarple I read that he was tested twice with the PCR test after the initial postive result and both he and his wife tested negative both times.  Glad to hear it, but concerned that our testing is not accurate.

I'm not too sure that the rapid test is that good. This just feeds into the hands of people who don't take covid-19 seriously or who don't beluve the magnitude of the numbers.

BTW a 7 year old has died in Georgia of the virus.

As if they need such feeding. @JaneMarple, Some cannot reconcile with the fact that in addition to all the human problems involved, we also are dealing with a totally new medical problem. Even if we had been prepared for a pandemic, it wouldn't have been specific enough to prevent some of the glitches.

Here in California, we have now no way to get an accurate count of cases due to a malfunction. This is serious, because every move the states makes is based on those numbers.

The is a huge problem, but it shouldn't result in people having no trust in anything regarding the virus.

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."  Important to remember.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

The rapid test has to be the utmost sensitive test because you get to be next to the king.  So anything that might be slightly out of balance shows up. 

That being said the govt gave out billions of dollars for companies to do these tests.  The numbers are probably skewed both ways. Many are getting rich during this trying time.

Honored Contributor

@hopi. I don't know what you are talking about unless it is a few tiny nations. America has no king and England has a queen.
Perhaps some of the smaller countries then which still have some royalty.
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

The rapid test from Abbott has been known for quite a while now to be inaccurate. I believe that is the only rapid test available.

The UK has a new 90 minute test.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The tests are a joke, causing highly inaccurate reporting. What a waste of time and money. Can't believe people haven't figured that out yet.