Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oh no, another tipping thread-hotel housekeeping

@skatting44 wrote:

I believe that everyone should pay taxes on their earnings/ wages. When you tip that person is not paying taxes as they likely do not declare these earnings on their taxes .

Big question , did you ever tip  a nurse or doctor who may have saved your life or your family members life . That's my opinion abt tipping .

@skatting44 Tip recipients report and pay taxes on the tips.  Just like many businesses with 2 sets of books, there may be tax cheats here and there.  Reporting tips as income has an impact on social security benefits upon retirement that may be significant.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Ok I'll play devil's advocate.   These people get a salary albeit minimum wage which is pretty good these days.   With this theory of thinking we should also be tipping the grocery person checker, sales people at dept stores, the mailman, ups etc...  Let's not forget those that clean places of worship, nurses, receptionists the list goes on.   My question is what is the criteria you use for those you tip and those you don't?  I do my share of tipping (always overtip in restaurants).   Just curious about the rest.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, $290/40hr week, $15,080/year. 24 states are increasing the state minimum wage slowly to about $12/hr over a couple of years. I don't think in our country and with our society that could be considered a 'good" wage.

@reiki604 Not every wage has to be a "good" wage, or a living wage.  People work part time for extra money, temporary money, kids work kids jobs. . . Just more thoughts.   

So how do you decide who "deserves"  a poverty wage?  Why is what the person intends to do with the money relevant to what the employer pays?

Esteemed Contributor

I have left tips in the middle of a multiday stay, with a thank you note, and find that the tip is still there when I return at the end of the day.  So I usually tip at the end of the stay.  I assume there is a tip sharing system.  The comments here have been useful. Maybe I should write "thank you housekeeping."  I generally have had well maintained hotel rooms, except for a trip in late 1980s to Shreveport, La..  It might have been the middle of nowhere.  This is pre-internet.  I don't drive and even had long waits for car service.  It was business travel (litigation), I went to most oil and gas destinations in the country.

PS, loved my trip to New Orleans, La., at about the same time, perhaps my favorite city in the U.S. after NYC. Magical city.  Best food ever.

Honored Contributor

i usually tip $5 a day and always tip at the end of the stay. i like fresh towels, i like them to make my bed and fluff the pillows, i like having my trashcans emptied, my sink and shower cleaned, and my toiletries restocked.

i honestly dont know if ONE person gets it or if they are really a team and working together and sharing the tips.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

We have a favorite resort we have been visiting for probably 20 years and many of the housekeeping staff are long-timers.  They are hard workers and come in during the day to clean and in the evening for turn-down service.  Different crews, of course..  We've always travelled with a dog and there were times housekeeping would come in at about 6:00 PM.  We'd be in the room, sitting on the sofa with our dog between us.  They are unfailingly pleasant and I appreciate them.  

Sometimes we ask them not to come in at night and just take the treats and fresh towels they come around with.   We tip generously and I always appreciate the fact that I am the guest and not the housekeeper.   These women work hard and I am glad to be able to supplement their income.  We usually give what amounts to $20 a day and are glad to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

Tipping for me, depends on where I am.  If I've gone abroad to a Caribbean nation, my tips will be in American dollars and much more than I would tip in the U.S.  In addition, tips will likely to be given a day to day basis.  I try to build a rapport with the maid service and find out their schedules.  If the first housekeeper will not be back when it's time for my checkout, I will give her the tips as I see her.  The same for any other staff that replaces her.

If I'm the states, then it's usally 15% of the nightly cost of the room.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Ok I'll play devil's advocate.   These people get a salary albeit minimum wage which is pretty good these days.   With this theory of thinking we should also be tipping the grocery person checker, sales people at dept stores, the mailman, ups etc...  Let's not forget those that clean places of worship, nurses, receptionists the list goes on.   My question is what is the criteria you use for those you tip and those you don't?  I do my share of tipping (always overtip in restaurants).   Just curious about the rest.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, $290/40hr week, $15,080/year. 24 states are increasing the state minimum wage slowly to about $12/hr over a couple of years. I don't think in our country and with our society that could be considered a 'good" wage.

@reiki604 Not every wage has to be a "good" wage, or a living wage.  People work part time for extra money, temporary money, kids work kids jobs. . . Just more thoughts.   

So how do you decide who "deserves"  a poverty wage?  Why is what the person intends to do with the money relevant to what the employer pays?

A job should pay a rate that compensates for the skills and tasks performed.  It is not by who "deserves" a certain rate.  There was a time when people wanted to improve themselves and learn new skills so they can get a better job....now they just want companies to pay more simply because they "deserve" it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

A job should pay a rate that compensates for the skills and tasks performed.  It is not by who "deserves" a certain rate.  There was a time when people wanted to improve themselves and learn new skills so they can get a better job....now they just want companies to pay more simply because they "deserve" it.

That's not for you to decide though @CrazyDaisy .  The only way you get to decide this is if YOU are the employer.  Employers should decide if they want to pay a decent wage or low wages. 

Let's not forget all minimum wage jobs are not created equally.  Some states have minium wages 2 x the federal minimum wage (which is a good thing). 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

For those who think that each hotel  staff, restaurant staff , hair dressers ect are keeping exact daily book keeping of their tips  , dream on. I do not condone any one  skipping out on paying their fair share of taxes on All earnings.  Taxes collected  are used for many services that we all use. Schools are an example . 

The laws  should be changed  that everyone be paid the full  minimum wage . As long as the laws remain as they are , than some  companies are just making their stockholders richer by not paying  minimum wage. So,  I don't believe in subsidising  people's income or promoting people  not fully reporting their earnings.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

That's not for you to decide though @CrazyDaisy .  The only way you get to decide this is if YOU are the employer.  Employers should decide if they want to pay a decent wage or low wages. 

Let's not forget all minimum wage jobs are not created equally.  Some states have minium wages 2 x the federal minimum wage (which is a good thing). 

Never said it was for me to decide, employers should be able to pay based on skills not arbitrary amounts based on someone's idea of what people need.  Improve your skills improve your pay.....simple concept.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.