Honored Contributor

Re: Oh no, another tipping thread-hotel housekeeping

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@Porcelain  I have to disagree with you, my friend. 

When we travel, we rent a home/condo/apartment. We pay a service to have everything there for us. We do our own laundry, clean the home, etc. Is there someone that comes after us to do some type of cleaning per regulations after we leave? I'm sure but I'm not tipping for that as the cost should be included in what we paid to rent the place.

On the road, we stay at a motel overnight. We leave with the beds made, the towels we used placed in a specific area and everything else is neat. Again, the cleaning must be done per regulations and the cost for that is (or should be) in the cost of the room. Not tipping for service we didn 't receive.

I shouldn't have said all that in quite such a snotty tone. I apologize. Thank you for being nice in your response.

I'll have my strong opinion about it, and it is perfectly fine by me that you have yours.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

When we travel, we rent a home/condo/apartment. We pay a service to have everything there for us. We do our own laundry, clean the home, etc. Is there someone that comes after us to do some type of cleaning per regulations after we leave? I'm sure but I'm not tipping for that as the cost should be included in what we paid to rent the place.

On the road, we stay at a motel overnight. We leave with the beds made, the towels we used placed in a specific area and everything else is neat. Again, the cleaning must be done per regulations and the cost for that is (or should be) in the cost of the room. Not tipping for service we didn 't receive.

@FiddleDeeDeethis is different from a hotel.  If you've booked a block of time somewhere and cleaning and maid service doesn't come around daily ~ but rather, only when you leave you don't have to tip.  You don't have to tip them for preparing your place prior to your arrival either.  This is not the same thing.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think that if a person can't afford the $5 or so per day to tip, they should start a travel fund now so they can afford to pay their way next time they travel. It's part of the cost of staying in a hotel or motel. Stop drinking lattes and start clipping coupons and cut back on the QVC binge purchasing. Ignorance is no longer an excuse once you know the tips are expected.

Simply put, when I book a room I expect a clean room.  When the person who books it next also expects a clean room.  If I ask for special services or leave it exceptionally messy, I will leave a tip to compensate for the extra work.  Other than that it is included in the price of the room.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@FiddleDeeDeethis is different from a hotel.  If you've booked a block of time somewhere and cleaning and maid service doesn't come around daily ~ but rather, only when you leave you don't have to tip.  You don't have to tip them for preparing your place prior to your arrival either.  This is not the same thing.

@gertrudecloset  We've stayed at hotels at the shore for a week at a time when the children were very little due to not being able to rent a place. These hotels are geared for families and are a safe place for children to run around due to all the activities geared to them. Not once in the years we stayed there did we receive fresh towels daily, have our room "made" are receive any other type of maid service. I recall having to go looking for towels, blankets and pillows as well as a coffee maker that was supposed to be in the room when we checked in. There was not tip left in those locations either.

For us, it comes down to this: did I receive service above and beyond what is expected for the fee for the room/location? If yes, then sure, leave a tip if you want (that's what a tip is). For service that is included in the fee you pay for your room? No. Having to chase down supplies, empty your own trash, etc? No, not tipping for service that wasn't received. I suppose that what I bristle at is the general sweep of "you must tip". No, you don't. You tip because the service was outstanding and you choose to reward that outstanding service.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@gertrudecloset  We've stayed at hotels at the shore for a week at a time when the children were very little due to not being able to rent a place. These hotels are geared for families and are a safe place for children to run around due to all the activities geared to them. Not once in the years we stayed there did we receive fresh towels daily, have our room "made" are receive any other type of maid service. I recall having to go looking for towels, blankets and pillows as well as a coffee maker that was supposed to be in the room when we checked in. There was not tip left in those locations either.

For us, it comes down to this: did I receive service above and beyond what is expected for the fee for the room/location? If yes, then sure, leave a tip if you want (that's what a tip is). For service that is included in the fee you pay for your room? No. Having to chase down supplies, empty your own trash, etc? No, not tipping for service that wasn't received. I suppose that what I bristle at is the general sweep of "you must tip". No, you don't. You tip because the service was outstanding and you choose to reward that outstanding service.

@FiddleDeeDee  Like I stated, your circumstance with the rentals are not like hotels.  It's different.  You're not getting daily looking after.  You don't need to tip!

Enjoy your loved ones.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life