Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oh no, another tipping thread-hotel housekeeping

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Physical endurance to do a very physical job quickly and efficiently is an extremely valuable skill. Similar to an athlete. None of us, as we are now, would last one single day as a hotel cleaner. So they have skills that should be compensated accordingly.

Agree that those things that are required to do a specific job, the employer should be compensating the employee.  

Customers can and should tip for something above and beyond their normal duties.  

Should? In an ideal world? Or in the world we actually live in where tips are accounted for as part of the worker's pay? If you don't tip, you're not fully paying your way at the hotel for all the services you've taken. If you have a problem with the entire tipping system we have here in America, that's no excuse to take it out on a particular maid.

The maid's employers expect everyone to tip her when she does her basic job. If she gets no tip, it's assumed she provided substandard service and that the customer was very displeased, not that she provided average, to-be-expected service. Can you get away with it? Of course. Should you? I personally don't think so. Better to not receive the services if you don't intend to pay for them. But that's just me.

Sorry, but I disagree with your whole premise that tips are to be  expected.  When I book a room,, i pay the rate quoted.  That goes through any and all purchases.  They are paid a wage and if they put extra effort in, may get a tip.  I have tipped if I needed extra services, willing.   Exception being waiter and waitress, while I do not agree, their wages are based on getting tips.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

For those who think that each hotel  staff, restaurant staff , hair dressers ect are keeping exact daily book keeping of their tips  , dream on. I do not condone any one  skipping out on paying their fair share of taxes on All earnings.  Taxes collected  are used for many services that we all use. Schools are an example . 

The laws  should be changed  that everyone be paid the full  minimum wage . As long as the laws remain as they are , than some  companies are just making their stockholders richer by not paying  minimum wage. So,  I don't believe in subsidising  people's income or promoting people  not fully reporting their earnings.

@skatting44 Not sure why you are picking on people at the bottom of the income scale for alleged tax cheating.  They may not even owe any taxes based on their income.  I am more concerned about profitable companies that hide income by keeping 2 sets of books or use tax shelters.  That is where the funding for our infrastructure is, not from a maid cleaning a hotel room.

Don't know why you are  pointing at me. I gave my opinion .  You gave your opinion . That's that. I do not condone anyone cheating  or bypassing paying their fair share of taxes no matter how much they make .  I have worked  all my adult years, sometimes 2 jobs  and paid for my own education from my savings . I did not have it easy through years of very high inflation  . I always reported all my earning and have paid my fair share of taxes .  I  have spent thousands of hours providing professional medical care as an unpaid volunteer to those less fortunate , so I am compassionate . I have  worked as a volunteer  with those that had  mental illness and were institutionalized   to  help them  re learn activities of daily living  such as  meal planning, food shopping  and preparing meals  . 

I find it sad that alot of  people feel they don't need to do their job well unless they are tipped  for their efforts.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

For those who think that each hotel  staff, restaurant staff , hair dressers ect are keeping exact daily book keeping of their tips  , dream on. I do not condone any one  skipping out on paying their fair share of taxes on All earnings.  Taxes collected  are used for many services that we all use. Schools are an example . 

The laws  should be changed  that everyone be paid the full  minimum wage . As long as the laws remain as they are , than some  companies are just making their stockholders richer by not paying  minimum wage. So,  I don't believe in subsidising  people's income or promoting people  not fully reporting their earnings.

@skatting44 Not sure why you are picking on people at the bottom of the income scale for alleged tax cheating.  They may not even owe any taxes based on their income.  I am more concerned about profitable companies that hide income by keeping 2 sets of books or use tax shelters.  That is where the funding for our infrastructure is, not from a maid cleaning a hotel room.

Don't know why you are  pointing at me. I gave my opinion .  You gave your opinion . That's that. I do not condone anyone cheating  or bypassing paying their fair share of taxes no matter how much they make .  I have worked  all my adult years, sometimes 2 jobs  and paid for my own education from my savings . I did not have it easy through years of very high inflation  . I always reported all my earning and have paid my fair share of taxes .  I  have spent thousands of hours providing professional medical care as an unpaid volunteer to those less fortunate , so I am compassionate . I have  worked as a volunteer  with those that had  mental illness and were institutionalized   to  help them  re learn activities of daily living  such as  meal planning, food shopping  and preparing meals  . 

I find it sad that alot of  people feel they don't need to do their job well unless they are tipped  for their efforts.

@skatting44  Of course we expect someone on these forums to say they play by the book.  Frankly, I take every personal information with a grain or salt.  No one knows if what you're saying is true.  Why bother?  Because you said it ~ it's gotta be true that you worked two jobs?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Physical endurance to do a very physical job quickly and efficiently is an extremely valuable skill. Similar to an athlete. None of us, as we are now, would last one single day as a hotel cleaner. So they have skills that should be compensated accordingly.

Agree that those things that are required to do a specific job, the employer should be compensating the employee.  

Customers can and should tip for something above and beyond their normal duties.  

Should? In an ideal world? Or in the world we actually live in where tips are accounted for as part of the worker's pay? If you don't tip, you're not fully paying your way at the hotel for all the services you've taken. If you have a problem with the entire tipping system we have here in America, that's no excuse to take it out on a particular maid.

The maid's employers expect everyone to tip her when she does her basic job. If she gets no tip, it's assumed she provided substandard service and that the customer was very displeased, not that she provided average, to-be-expected service. Can you get away with it? Of course. Should you? I personally don't think so. Better to not receive the services if you don't intend to pay for them. But that's just me.

Sorry, but I disagree with your whole premise that tips are to be  expected.  When I book a room,, i pay the rate quoted.  That goes through any and all purchases.  They are paid a wage and if they put extra effort in, may get a tip.  I have tipped if I needed extra services, willing.   Exception being waiter and waitress, while I do not agree, their wages are based on getting tips.  

@CrazyDaisy 

I couldn't agree with you more.

If I order room service, I tip.

If the hotel has a spa, and I use the spa, I tip.

But to clean my room?

Nope. 

expect that to be done.

Besides, most days my room doesn't need to be cleaned.

I make my own bed, I reuse the towles. At most, all they have to do is empty the trash. I'm not tipping for that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@skatting44  Of course we expect someone on these forums to say they play by the book.  Frankly, I take every personal information with a grain or salt.  No one knows if what you're saying is true.  Why bother?  Because you said it ~ it's gotta be true that you worked two jobs?

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

You have the Same old straw man argument when you don't agree with someone . You just try to insult, intimidate and make some one out to be a liar .

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44  Hardly.  I just am not the kind of person to believe everything I'm told or read about anonymous people on an internet forum.   Of course, you'd give yourself a glowing character replete with altruistic and act utilitarian deeds.  I don't know you.  No belittling from me.  I'm my sharing my opinion which is based on facts. 

I could tell you I'm a personal friend to the Hilton family, how would you know if I were telling the truth (bragging)?  Your definition of strawman does not apply here.   Keep the straws for your drinks.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Contributor

Yes, I usually tip between $3-5 per day.  I'll leave a short note such as "To Housekeeping, thank you"  before I go out so that they know it's for them. 

I remember once walking by a room that was VERY messy so I try to leave my room fairly clean.  That way they have more time to clean other rooms if necessary.   

Honored Contributor

I think that if a person can't afford the $5 or so per day to tip, they should start a travel fund now so they can afford to pay their way next time they travel. It's part of the cost of staying in a hotel or motel. Stop drinking lattes and start clipping coupons and cut back on the QVC binge purchasing. Ignorance is no longer an excuse once you know the tips are expected.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I think that if a person can't afford the $5 or so per day to tip, they should start a travel fund now so they can afford to pay their way next time they travel. It's part of the cost of staying in a hotel or motel. Stop drinking lattes and start clipping coupons and cut back on the QVC binge purchasing. Ignorance is no longer an excuse once you know the tips are expected.

Expected?

Maybe.

Mandatory?

Not the last time I checked.

Freedom to tip or not.

Ain't America great?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain  I have to disagree with you, my friend. 

When we travel, we rent a home/condo/apartment. We pay a service to have everything there for us. We do our own laundry, clean the home, etc. Is there someone that comes after us to do some type of cleaning per regulations after we leave? I'm sure but I'm not tipping for that as the cost should be included in what we paid to rent the place.

On the road, we stay at a motel overnight. We leave with the beds made, the towels we used placed in a specific area and everything else is neat. Again, the cleaning must be done per regulations and the cost for that is (or should be) in the cost of the room. Not tipping for service we didn 't receive.

"Coming to ya from Florida"