Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oh no, another tipping thread-hotel housekeeping

@skatting44 wrote:

For those who think that each hotel  staff, restaurant staff , hair dressers ect are keeping exact daily book keeping of their tips  , dream on. I do not condone any one  skipping out on paying their fair share of taxes on All earnings.  Taxes collected  are used for many services that we all use. Schools are an example . 

The laws  should be changed  that everyone be paid the full  minimum wage . As long as the laws remain as they are , than some  companies are just making their stockholders richer by not paying  minimum wage. So,  I don't believe in subsidising  people's income or promoting people  not fully reporting their earnings.

@skatting44The vast majority of employers that provide 1099's at the end of the year for their staff pay the minimum wage.  What you should consider is "what is the minimum wage in this state?"  The minimum wage is different in every state you go to.  Employers can't get away without paying their state's minimum wage for long.  Employers can tell on them and get them in a lot of trouble.

Arizona's minimum wage isn't the same as Alabama's.  Alabama's minimum wage is not likely the same as Nevada's or California's.  The Governor and legislative branches are responsible for wages in every State.  The Federal Minimum wage is merely a guideline to be used by contractors who win Federal Contracts.  The $7.25 must be the minimum.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Ok I'll play devil's advocate.   These people get a salary albeit minimum wage which is pretty good these days.   With this theory of thinking we should also be tipping the grocery person checker, sales people at dept stores, the mailman, ups etc...  Let's not forget those that clean places of worship, nurses, receptionists the list goes on.   My question is what is the criteria you use for those you tip and those you don't?  I do my share of tipping (always overtip in restaurants).   Just curious about the rest.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, $290/40hr week, $15,080/year. 24 states are increasing the state minimum wage slowly to about $12/hr over a couple of years. I don't think in our country and with our society that could be considered a 'good" wage.

@reiki604 Not every wage has to be a "good" wage, or a living wage.  People work part time for extra money, temporary money, kids work kids jobs. . . Just more thoughts.   

So how do you decide who "deserves"  a poverty wage?  Why is what the person intends to do with the money relevant to what the employer pays?

A job should pay a rate that compensates for the skills and tasks performed.  It is not by who "deserves" a certain rate.  There was a time when people wanted to improve themselves and learn new skills so they can get a better job....now they just want companies to pay more simply because they "deserve" it.

That's not for you to decide though @CrazyDaisy .  The only way you get to decide this is if YOU are the employer.  Employers should decide if they want to pay a decent wage or low wages. 

Let's not forget all minimum wage jobs are not created equally.  Some states have minium wages 2 x the federal minimum wage (which is a good thing). 

Never said it was for me to decide, employers should be able to pay based on skills not arbitrary amounts based on someone's idea of what people need.  Improve your skills improve your pay.....simple concept.

Employees do pay based on skills.  They should be able to pay the way they decide.  Period.  You don't decide that, nor do I.  Period. @CrazyDaisy 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Ok I'll play devil's advocate.   These people get a salary albeit minimum wage which is pretty good these days.   With this theory of thinking we should also be tipping the grocery person checker, sales people at dept stores, the mailman, ups etc...  Let's not forget those that clean places of worship, nurses, receptionists the list goes on.   My question is what is the criteria you use for those you tip and those you don't?  I do my share of tipping (always overtip in restaurants).   Just curious about the rest.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, $290/40hr week, $15,080/year. 24 states are increasing the state minimum wage slowly to about $12/hr over a couple of years. I don't think in our country and with our society that could be considered a 'good" wage.

@reiki604 Not every wage has to be a "good" wage, or a living wage.  People work part time for extra money, temporary money, kids work kids jobs. . . Just more thoughts.   

So how do you decide who "deserves"  a poverty wage?  Why is what the person intends to do with the money relevant to what the employer pays?

A job should pay a rate that compensates for the skills and tasks performed.  It is not by who "deserves" a certain rate.  There was a time when people wanted to improve themselves and learn new skills so they can get a better job....now they just want companies to pay more simply because they "deserve" it.

That's not for you to decide though @CrazyDaisy .  The only way you get to decide this is if YOU are the employer.  Employers should decide if they want to pay a decent wage or low wages. 

Let's not forget all minimum wage jobs are not created equally.  Some states have minium wages 2 x the federal minimum wage (which is a good thing). 

Never said it was for me to decide, employers should be able to pay based on skills not arbitrary amounts based on someone's idea of what people need.  Improve your skills improve your pay.....simple concept.

Employees do pay based on skills.  They should be able to pay the way they decide.  Period.  You don't decide that, nor do I.  Period. @CrazyDaisy 

No idea how else an employer would determine how else they would pay for a job...but ok. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

No idea how else an employer would determine how else they would pay for a job...but ok. 

You'd be surprised at the examples you're already aware of @CrazyDaisy .  You probably don't give it a second thought.  That's just how it works in part capitalist society. 

Respected Contributor

I always tip. Daily.  It's a small kindness and show of respect, usually for women at the bottom of the pay scale.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

For those who think that each hotel  staff, restaurant staff , hair dressers ect are keeping exact daily book keeping of their tips  , dream on. I do not condone any one  skipping out on paying their fair share of taxes on All earnings.  Taxes collected  are used for many services that we all use. Schools are an example . 

The laws  should be changed  that everyone be paid the full  minimum wage . As long as the laws remain as they are , than some  companies are just making their stockholders richer by not paying  minimum wage. So,  I don't believe in subsidising  people's income or promoting people  not fully reporting their earnings.

@skatting44 Not sure why you are picking on people at the bottom of the income scale for alleged tax cheating.  They may not even owe any taxes based on their income.  I am more concerned about profitable companies that hide income by keeping 2 sets of books or use tax shelters.  That is where the funding for our infrastructure is, not from a maid cleaning a hotel room.

Honored Contributor

Physical endurance to do a very physical job quickly and efficiently is an extremely valuable skill. Similar to an athlete. None of us, as we are now, would last one single day as a hotel cleaner. So they have skills that should be compensated accordingly.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

We don't tip.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Physical endurance to do a very physical job quickly and efficiently is an extremely valuable skill. Similar to an athlete. None of us, as we are now, would last one single day as a hotel cleaner. So they have skills that should be compensated accordingly.

Agree that those things that are required to do a specific job, the employer should be compensating the employee.  

Customers can and should tip for something above and beyond their normal duties.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Agree that those things that are required to do a specific job, the employer should be compensating the employee.  

Customers can and should tip for something above and beyond their normal duties.  

Should? In an ideal world? Or in the world we actually live in where tips are accounted for as part of the worker's pay? If you don't tip, you're not fully paying your way at the hotel for all the services you've taken. If you have a problem with the entire tipping system we have here in America, that's no excuse to take it out on a particular maid.

The maid's employers expect everyone to tip her when she does her basic job. If she gets no tip, it's assumed she provided substandard service and that the customer was very displeased, not that she provided average, to-be-expected service. Can you get away with it? Of course. Should you? I personally don't think so. Better to not receive the services if you don't intend to pay for them. But that's just me.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr