Trusted Contributor

Re: Oh no, another tipping thread-hotel housekeeping

I get it but why does the general public have to make up the difference in their pay.   Just because the minimum wage is whatever doesn't mean that the corporation has to pay that amount.   Have them hike up their pay.    

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

I get it but why does the general public have to make up the difference in their pay.   Just because the minimum wage is whatever doesn't mean that the corporation has to pay that amount.   Have them hike up their pay.    

How do you want to make that happen? A law?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

In normal times when they come in every day, I leave money every day, no less than $5.

Now, because they only come in at the end of your trip, I leave the full amount on the last day.  I don't think they should lose the daily tip because they are not coming into the room every day.  They are still cleaning the common areas and more frequently.  That's how I look at it.

Thank you! That's what I've been doing too but I just needed to know if I was is the ballpark or not! 

@GenXmuse   The only problem with leaving one big tip at the end is that you do not always have the same persons everyday.

So you may be leaving that tip for a person who only cleaned on your last day while others who performed the same task on the other days of your stay receive nothing.

Chances are you may have had the same crew but consider week-ends and week-days - not all service people are on the same schedule.

I think $5 per person is fine as long as you know how many have cleaned your room, on average.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 thank you! Yes, that makes sense. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

@GenXmuse   Only if you are sure nobody else has been in the room all week.  We always left our tips each day before they came in the room, too.

I cannot imagine that at least towels are not being refreshed.

And if they are cleaning the room on your last day, they are not cleaning for you.  They are cleaning for the next guest.  It's still nice, though, to leave a little something.

The next guest could be a real Scrooge.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

Ok I'll play devil's advocate.   These people get a salary albeit minimum wage which is pretty good these days.   With this theory of thinking we should also be tipping the grocery person checker, sales people at dept stores, the mailman, ups etc...  Let's not forget those that clean places of worship, nurses, receptionists the list goes on.   My question is what is the criteria you use for those you tip and those you don't?  I do my share of tipping (always overtip in restaurants).   Just curious about the rest.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour, $290/40hr week, $15,080/year. 24 states are increasing the state minimum wage slowly to about $12/hr over a couple of years. I don't think in our country and with our society that could be considered a 'good" wage.

@reiki604   Plus many minimum wage jobs are not full-time, so their earnings are even less.

Honored Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@Junebug54   Tipping is optional.

Why would you tip a nurse anyway?  Compared to the hotel cleaning crew the comparison in wages is not even close.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@GenXmuse   Only if you are sure nobody else has been in the room all week.  We always left our tips each day before they came in the room, too.

I cannot imagine that at least towels are not being refreshed.

And if they are cleaning the room on your last day, they are not cleaning for you.  They are cleaning for the next guest.  It's still nice, though, to leave a little something.

The next guest could be a real Scrooge.  LOL

Lol right! Sometimes I Tip more to make up for those! 

Esteemed Contributor

I believe that everyone should pay taxes on their earnings/ wages. When you tip that person is not paying taxes as they likely do not declare these earnings on their taxes .

Big question , did you ever tip  a nurse or doctor who may have saved your life or your family members life . That's my opinion abt tipping .

Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

The reason I started tipping every day is because I read (on here, I'm sure) that you don't always have the same person every day.  I used to just leave it at the end.

I also leave more per day in larger, more expensive cities like LA, NY, Vegas where the cost of living is outrageous.

I also read that and while it was probably on here, I also read it on a travel tipping site.