Honored Contributor

Oh no, another tipping thread-hotel housekeeping

I know everyone feels differently about tipping, to tip, not to tip, how much etc, but as more of us are traveling, I'm wondering about the etiquette of tipping housekeeping staff. I always leave a tip, but I'm not sure what is customary. How do you handle tipping people who clean up after you?

Thanks in advance. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Oh no, another tipping thread-hotel housekeeping

[ Edited ]

In normal times when they come in every day, I leave money every day, no less than $5.

Now, because they only come in at the end of your trip, I leave the full amount on the last day.  I don't think they should lose the daily tip because they are not coming into the room every day.  They are still cleaning the common areas and more frequently.  That's how I look at it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

In normal times when they come in every day, I leave money every day, no less than $5.

Now, because they only come in at the end of your trip, I leave the full amount on the last day.  I don't think they should lose the daily tip because they are not coming into the room every day.  They are still cleaning the common areas and more frequently.  That's how I look at it.

Thank you! That's what I've been doing too but I just needed to know if I was is the ballpark or not! 

Respected Contributor

We always leave a tip at the end of our stay in the room in an envelope marked housekeeping. Usually fifty dollars if we stay five days or less.

Super Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I know everyone feels differently about tipping, to tip, not to tip, how much etc, but as more of us are traveling, I'm wondering about the etiquette of tipping housekeeping staff. I always leave a tip, but I'm not sure what is customary. How do you handle tipping people who clean up after you?

Thanks in advance. 

I clean up after myself Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Unless you are having real financial problems yourself, if you are fortunate enough to be able to travel, don't cheat the housekeeping, valet or other staff!  That's my philosophy. 

Honored Contributor

We stayed 8 nights at a Homewood Suites in Henderson, NV.  We had the option of how often we wanted housekeeping.  We opted for every 3 days.  When I saw the cleaning people I gave them $10 (twice) and left $10 at the end of the stay.  If I can afford to stay at a hotel, I can afford to give a decent "tip" to the housekeeping staff who work hard.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I agree.  I leave $5-$10/day at the end of my stay.

Honored Contributor

It's been a long time since we traveled but when we did, we always left $5 for each day of our stay at the end of the trip.  

All they ever had to do was make the bed and take away the pile of wet towels I would leave on the vanity.  It's not like we were slobs that pulled the blankets off the bed or left garbage all over the room.

Honored Contributor

The reason I started tipping every day is because I read (on here, I'm sure) that you don't always have the same person every day.  I used to just leave it at the end.

I also leave more per day in larger, more expensive cities like LA, NY, Vegas where the cost of living is outrageous.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN