Honored Contributor

Re: Oh my gosh! this almost brings me to tears...Alex Trebek

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten 

I wasn't aware you can get "extra" halos.   Or any halos, for that matter.  JMO

@Tinkrbl44, her "halo" mention wasn't literal.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

https://people.com/tv/all-the-ways-alex-trebek-gave-back/

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten Please don't let your sunshine be stolen. Your post was sweet and came from the heart.

A certain frozen water queen comments in that manner on a lot of threads. It's just a consistent style thing and it has nothing to do with the content or value of your topic.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I applaud his son's idea and think it is great that the charity was delighted to receive the donation. The comments of some people are shameful. 

Respected Contributor

I don't think anyone's comments are shameful. Some don't make more of something than what it is. This would have been a non-story if it weren't the person whose closet was being cleared. It's the same gesture I'm sure many, many of us have performed giving to many different charitable institutions upon the death of a loved one.

Yes, his family is continuing the tradition of giving. That's nice. 

Respected Contributor

Gives a new meaning to the term " DEBBIE DOWNER " !!!

Respected Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

I don't think anyone's comments are shameful. Some don't make more of something than what it is. This would have been a non-story if it weren't the person whose closet was being cleared. It's the same gesture I'm sure many, many of us have performed giving to many different charitable institutions upon the death of a loved one.

Yes, his family is continuing the tradition of giving. That's nice. 

But we're just horrible for pointing that out. Apparently if you're famous everything you do gets extra credit. Some are just not that infatuated with famous folks. 

Honored Contributor

Nice gesture, I am sure the suits will be much appreciated.  My husband gave away a nice suit to someone who needed a 'burial' suit.  The family was also very appreciative.  A little kindness can go a long way.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Thank you for posting a positive, something we need every day; and, in our cynical world, we need more of this, imo.

I would think that Alex Trebek probably cleaned out his closet every few years, like most of us, and donated his clothes to various charities.  His family is now doing the same, what many of us have done in the past and will continue to do.

I have no idea what people wear to interviews today or even how many interviews are now done face-to-face.  What I do know is that I have interviewed many people over the years and I always liked it when someone took the time to dress their best.  Do homeless men need expensive suits?  Not to impress anyone, except themselves.  How good it must feel to wear an expensive suit or to have a nice shirt or tie.  Just the little things can do so much for self-esteem.  Just the thing to help nail the job.  Most employers know if someone has been homeless, because most will go through some type of training program that does placement.  

Years ago, I did job placement at a vocational high school, and our clientele included adults with varied backgrounds as well as high school students.  I also kept a closet of donated clothes, and one of the donations was a very nice suit.  I had a young man come in who saw the suit, asked if he could try it on, it fit, and he told me that he had never had a suit.  He was from a very poor family.  He was going on an interview that did not require a suit, but I told him to keep the suit and he just beamed.  Wore the suit to the interview, got the job, and that might have been the highlight of his high school experience.  We never know how things will work out.

So, @GoneButNotForgotten, thank you for posting.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

So I reread this thread from the beginning. And this is my take on it. The OP posted an interesting tidbit. Some people took it as nothing more than an interesting tidbit. That was their perspective. To them and in my opinion a very valid perspective. For me reading it was something that would never bring me close to tears, or feel someone worthy of sainthood with a halo and all. I'm not given to hyperbole. Donation of clothing and other goods is an everyday occurrence by those disposing of an estate. Some seemed to feel it was no big deal.

The OP and others are certainly entitled to their reaction to the story, but not everyone has to have a visceral, or emotionally uplifting reaction.

But, and I know this won't be popular, the thread turned negative when other posters didn't agree with that perspective. The thread turned negative when another is referred to another as a frozen water queen, or Debbie Downers, or shameful.