Respected Contributor

Re: Oh my gosh! this almost brings me to tears...Alex Trebek

@scatcat wrote:

Any donation is kind, but with all due respect, he was host for 37 years. 

14 suits?

Most of the clothing that he wore came from a wardrobe closet, and the outfits were chosen by his stylist, Phil Wayne.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor

I agree that many, many people donate their deceased loved-ones clothing.  I just have to wonder how many homeless men seeking jobs would have need of an expensive designer suit.  I wouldn't think that those kinds of jobs are what most homeless men would qualify for.  Being dressed too well for the job one is applying for can come across as a red flag.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I agree that many, many people donate their deceased loved-ones clothing.  I just have to wonder how many homeless men seeking jobs would have need of an expensive designer suit.  I wouldn't think that those kinds of jobs are what most homeless men would qualify for.  Being dressed too well for the job one is applying for can come across as a red flag.

@GrailSeeker  Yup. 

Trusted Contributor

I loved Alex and admired him for his wit and knowledge, but I think he also exhibits a total disconnect from anyone who is homeless.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Alex Trebek was not disconnected from homeless people, he was involved with charities for the homeless for many years. The articles about this donation give that information. At least one that I read talked about this, it was on people.com.

They also say

CBS News

The donation included: 14 suits, 300 neckties, 15 belts, 58 dress shirts, 25 polo shirts, 14 sweaters, nine pairs of dress shoes, nine sports coats, two parkas and three pairs of dress slacks.

Homeless people can certainly use all of these for job interviews.

Geez

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Since I won't risk posting a link, here's more of the story and the grateful charity which received the donation:

"The family of the late "Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek has donated a significant portion of his wardrobe to charity as a way to honor his legacy.

They gave the clothing to The Doe Fund, an organization that provides paid work, housing, vocational training, continuing education and comprehensive social services to underserved Americans with histories of addiction, homelessness and incarceration, according to a "Jeopardy!" news release.

"During his last day on set, Alex extolled the virtues of everyone opening up their hands and their hearts to those who are suffering," said Mike Richards, the game show's executive producer. "Donating his wardrobe to those who are working to rebuild their lives is the perfect way to begin to honor that last request."

Trebek's son, Matthew, has been a supporter of The Doe Fund and came up with the idea to donate the pieces to the organization, the news release said.

In all, the family donated four suits, 58 dress shirts, 300 neckties, 25 polo shirts, 14 sweaters, nine sports coats, nine pairs of dress shoes, 15 belts, two parkas and three pairs of dress slacks. Doe Fund participants will use the items in their reentry program for job interviews, according to the news release.

"We are so grateful for Jeopardy! and the Trebek family's commitment to lifting up the most vulnerable among us," said Harriet McDonald, president of The Doe Fund. "The men in our career training programs are always in need of professional attire, so they can shine in their job interviews and work with confidence once they're hired. This donation alleviates the obstacle of not having appropriate clothing."

Respected Contributor

Some of you make me sorry I brought it up.

Esteemed Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I would also wonder how many men wear suits to an interview these days? Unless your a lawyer or very professional most men in our area just wear a nice pair of pants, maybe a dress shirt and tie or polo shirt. Who in their right mind wears a suit when it's summer in Arizona? Just the same for women. A nice pair of pants and a shirt, maybe a dress but certainly no hose. 

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten Some people complain about gloom and doom here, but some get negative about positive things without even getting all the information. Or for whatever other reasons.

It's why I hesitate to post positive things, honestly.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I would also wonder how many men wear suits to an interview these days? Unless your a lawyer or very professional most men in our area just wear a nice pair of pants, maybe a dress shirt and tie or polo shirt. Who in their right mind wears a suit when it's summer in Arizona? Just the same for women. A nice pair of pants and a shirt, maybe a dress but certainly no hose. 

Did you read the list of the other things that were donated?