Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oh my gosh! this almost brings me to tears...Alex Trebek

@Lali1 wrote:

Nobody is picking apart the good deed. Some people are so over emotional they can't take things as the are. The point of saying it almost brings tears and that he gets extra halos for the deed is what received criticism. Maybe go stand outside a Goodwill or Salvation Army collection site and gush over those regular people who give daily. Do they get extra halos or will people cry at their generosity? And continue to make people out to be horrible who point out the over the top response while those same people do things like that act every single day. No halos and tears for them. Celebs and famous folks are not more special. Maybe give the everyday hero, charity giver and kind person as much kudos as some do celebs. 

@Lali1 

I couldn't agree more.

That's the problem with this country.

We worship celebrities, and turn them in to heros and saints who can do no wrong.

We hang on their every word like gospel.

We elevate them to being perfect, and having all the answers, and everything that they say and do is always 100% correct and right.

People see them as infallible, above reproach.

This thread is proof of that.

What about our brave men and women working tirelessly in our hospitals during this pandemic.

Don't they deserve extra halos?

What about our men and women firefighters and police officers?

Don't they deserve extra halos, too?

What about the men and women in our military?

Are they going to get that extra halo?

And the countless others whose good deeds goes unnoticed, and without fanfare?

Will they get that extra halo?

Or is it saved for celebrities only?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

Nobody is picking apart the good deed. Some people are so over emotional they can't take things as the are. The point of saying it almost brings tears and that he gets extra halos for the deed is what received criticism. Maybe go stand outside a Goodwill or Salvation Army collection site and gush over those regular people who give daily. Do they get extra halos or will people cry at their generosity? And continue to make people out to be horrible who point out the over the top response while those same people do things like that act every single day. No halos and tears for them. Celebs and famous folks are not more special. Maybe give the everyday hero, charity giver and kind person as much kudos as some do celebs. 

@Lali1 

I couldn't agree more.

That's the problem with this country.

We worship celebrities, and turn them in to heros and saints who can do no wrong.

We hang on their every word like gospel.

We elevate them to being perfect, and having all the answers, and everything that they say and do is always 100% correct and right.

People see them as infallible, above reproach.

This thread is proof of that.

What about our brave men and women working tirelessly in our hospitals during this pandemic.

Don't they deserve extra halos?

What about our men and women firefighters and police officers?

Don't they deserve extra halos, too?

What about the men and women in our military?

Are they going to get that extra halo?

And the countless others whose good deeds goes unnoticed, and without fanfare?

Will they get that extra halo?

Or is it saved for celebrities only?

Agreed! Yes I would say working your butt off day in and day out deserves halos. More so than donating clothes of someone who can no longer wear them. I'm just gonna be my joyless self and continue making a prayer shawl for a friend with cancer. 

Respected Contributor

@Lali1  That is so sweet regarding the prayer shawl for your friend. I wish I was talented enough to make one! 

Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

@Lali1  That is so sweet regarding the prayer shawl for your friend. I wish I was talented enough to make one! 

Thanks. It's more someone I once knew causally. She's very very sick. I get a lot of joy from making them. I learned to crochet after my mom passed away 24 years ago in honor of her. She was a crocheter and knitter. I knit too but like my mom I'm a better crocheter. If you were my neighbor I'd have gifted you a ton of knitted dishcloths and various crocheted items. I learned to knit making dishcloths. So many dishcloths 😊

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

It has been my experience that most people donate the usable clothing of their loved ones who have passed.  This is pretty common and normal.

I wonder why somthing like this is even news.

I think it's easy to understand that this is a newsworthy story. Alex Trebek was a beloved figure for many people. Every weeknight, for 30 minutes, millions of people invited him into their home to watch as he hosted one of the most popular game shows of all time. 

When his cancer was made public millions of people were saddened at the devastating news and cheered him on for over a year and a half as he fought the diagnosis, seemed to be beating the odds, and continued to do the job he had loved doing for 37 years and more than 8000 episodes. The news of his death was heartbreaking for many. I'm not embarrassed, or ashamed, to say his last show brought tears to my eyes.

Alex, the show, and news stories like this have been showing up in my news feed multiple times every week. Sometimes it's a story highlighting the previous night's show, sometimes it's a story about who will be filling in as guest host, yesterday it was the story of Alex's son, Matthew, continuing his father's legacy by donating to the Doe Fund. 

An important characteristic of news is human interest. Millions of people have an interest in Alex Trebek, and in Jeopardy, which is what makes his story newsworthy. It's why we heard this week about the reason Kobe Bryant's plane crashed. There are hundreds of helicopter crashes every year but do you hear about what caused them on the nightly news? It's the reason we heard about Robin Williams, Kate Spade, Heath Leger, and Amy Winehouse's deaths to name a few. Thousands of people die of suicide and accidental overdose every year but do you hear about them in the news? We could go on and on with examples.

The idea that most of us either donate, sell, or somehow dispose of a loved one's belongings is true and in the case of donation a very kind thing. However, it's not newsworthy  because no one knows who we are. It doesn't take away the significance of their life but there just aren't millions of people interested in where we sent dear Aunt Jane's scarves and blazers other than those in our own circle. Not true in the case of Alex Trebek and thus the reason this story was on numerous news outlets yesterday. 

I guess it makes a few happy to grouse about the op's choice of words but no one here has appeared to worship, assign hero status, or claim perfection of anyone. That's nothing more than a transparent excuse to mock her. No one thinks for a second she imagines Alex Trebek sitting on cloud in a white robe with a multi-level high rise halo atop his head. Anyone can see she simply read a story about someone she deeply admires, found it emotionally touching, and spoke from her heart. I think it's sweet and I very much enjoyed reading about one of Alex's many charitable donations. Thankyou @GoneButNotForgotten  for posting a lovely story. Heart Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It has been my experience that most people donate the usable clothing of their loved ones who have passed.  This is pretty common and normal.

I wonder why somthing like this is even news.

I think it's easy to understand that this is a newsworthy story. Alex Trebek was a beloved figure for many people. Every weeknight, for 30 minutes, millions of people invited him into their home to watch as he hosted one of the most popular game shows of all time. 

When his cancer was made public millions of people were saddened at the devastating news and cheered him on for over a year and a half as he fought the diagnosis, seemed to be beating the odds, and continued to do the job he had loved doing for 37 years and more than 8000 episodes. The news of his death was heartbreaking for many. I'm not embarrassed, or ashamed, to say his last show brought tears to my eyes.

Alex, the show, and news stories like this have been showing up in my news feed multiple times every week. Sometimes it's a story highlighting the previous night's show, sometimes it's a story about who will be filling in as guest host, yesterday it was the story of Alex's son, Matthew, continuing his father's legacy by donating to the Doe Fund. 

An important characteristic of news is human interest. Millions of people have an interest in Alex Trebek, and in Jeopardy, which is what makes his story newsworthy. It's why we heard this week about the reason Kobe Bryant's plane crashed. There are hundreds of helicopter crashes every year but do you hear about what caused them on the nightly news? It's the reason we heard about Robin Williams, Kate Spade, Heath Leger, and Amy Winehouse's deaths to name a few. Thousands of people die of suicide and accidental overdose every year but do you hear about them in the news? We could go on and on with examples.

The idea that most of us either donate, sell, or somehow dispose of a loved one's belongings is true and in the case of donation a very kind thing. However, it's not newsworthy  because no one knows who we are. It doesn't take away the significance of their life but there just aren't millions of people interested in where we sent dear Aunt Jane's scarves and blazers other than those in our own circle. Not true in the case of Alex Trebek and thus the reason this story was on numerous news outlets yesterday. 

I guess it makes a few happy to grouse about the op's choice of words but no one here has appeared to worship, assign hero status, or claim perfection of anyone. That's nothing more than a transparent excuse to mock her. No one thinks for a second she imagines Alex Trebek sitting on cloud in a white robe with a multi-level high rise halo atop his head. Anyone can see she simply read a story about someone she deeply admires, found it emotionally touching, and spoke from her heart. I think it's sweet and I very much enjoyed reading about one of Alex's many charitable donations. Thankyou @GoneButNotForgotten  for posting a lovely story. Heart Smiley Happy

Miss @SusieQ_2, I am very proud to have a similar nickname as you! This post nails it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @suzyQ3  and right back at you. I've admired you for years and always enjoy reading your comments. Heart

Honored Contributor

The OP clearly adores Alex Trebek. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with that. It's okay to adore and gush over a celebrity. And it's okay to be very sad when your favorite passes.

These feelings were clear in her original post, so some of the critiques are a bit personal sounding and are not particularly live and let live. Some of the same people who constantly say they don't care what other people say or do, seem to care very much what people in this thread have done and said.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Okay, so what if the the original post was a but gushing. Somehow most of us were able to get the gist of it.

I see posters that start threads on a regular basis that some may think are inconsequential.

I think that we should try to more mindful about the feelings on their part. After all, we are putting ourselves out there when we start a topic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I'm impressed with your ability to sum it all up @SusieQ_2 . Maybe the OP feels things more deeply others, but I liked the information she shared. To me, it is newsworthy.