Respected Contributor

Re: Oh my gosh! this almost brings me to tears...Alex Trebek

Who ever would have thought (I sure didn't) that saying something nice about a famous man -- a nice person, from all reports -- who did a good thing even in death, would generate this much nastiness. 

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   It is unfortunate but doesn't surprise me.  People who post here can be so mean and catty.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Who ever would have thought (I sure didn't) that saying something nice about a famous man -- a nice person, from all reports -- who did a good thing even in death, would generate this much nastiness. 

Read the thread about Antonella... Nothing on this thread even comes close to the accusations and outright mean responses @GoneButNotForgotten .

Esteemed Contributor

I see people as individuals also, and Alex was just a human being who just happened to make his living by being a host on a tv game show.

He was not perfect, yet people here are acting as if he was.

I have nothing against someone being a "celebrity".

But they are human beings who use the toilet just like the rest of us, and Alex was no exception to that.

And to ascribe a hero and/or saintly status to a tv game show host, for doing something rather ordinary that a lot of families do after a loved one has passed, is a bit much.

Do all of those people get an extra halo too when their families do the same exact thing and donate the clothing of the deceased to charity, or is it only reserved for celebrities who have been worshipped and elevated to sainthood?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Some of you are really proving my point.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 With all due respect, I don't recall anyone saying Alex was perfect, just that he did a nice thing. Doesn't mean others don't and doesn't mean he should get "halos" either, but since he's in public eye, yes, it will be reported. Doesn't mean he's a saint and don't think people here were saying that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

People can and clearly are going to interpret comments however they choose. To me, it was the level of gushing both about Mr. Trebek and his family's act of kindness that took things over the top and that engendered some of the unanticipated feedback.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb  Ok, I did go back and read the OP and yes, I see what you mean. The "extra halo" may have been a bit over the top for sure!  lol

Respected Contributor

Nobody is picking apart the good deed. Some people are so over emotional they can't take things as the are. The point of saying it almost brings tears and that he gets extra halos for the deed is what received criticism. Maybe go stand outside a Goodwill or Salvation Army collection site and gush over those regular people who give daily. Do they get extra halos or will people cry at their generosity? And continue to make people out to be horrible who point out the over the top response while those same people do things like that act every single day. No halos and tears for them. Celebs and famous folks are not more special. Maybe give the everyday hero, charity giver and kind person as much kudos as some do celebs. 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes this place stinks.  People can be so bitter and petty here.

Try to find the joy in life...