Trusted Contributor

Re: Oh my gosh! this almost brings me to tears...Alex Trebek

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Some of you make me sorry I brought it up.

Please don't take my comment personally.  You should not be sorry for bringing it up.  I was just sceptical that much of anyone finding themselves in that kind of situation would actually have occasion to wear a suit except for a funeral or wedding.  The fact is that hardly anyone needs a suit and necktie and dress shoes for their job these days.  Unless they're applying to be a gameshow host or on TV.  I just found the idea discongruent, but I still like you and I still like Alex.  

Respected Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Any donation is kind, but with all due respect, he was host for 37 years. 

14 suits?

I'm sure that the clothes he wore 37 years ago either wore out or are out of style now. Oy!

What else do you need to complain about?

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten Some people complain about gloom and doom here, but some get negative about positive things without even getting all the information. Or for whatever other reasons.

It's why I hesitate to post positive things, honestly.

So true!  People will challenge any positive thing here. SMH

Respected Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I loved Alex and admired him for his wit and knowledge, but I think he also exhibits a total disconnect from anyone who is homeless.

so disconnected that he gave them the clothes off his back.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Some of you make me sorry I brought it up.

Reminds me of the thread about Antonella ....

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten Some people complain about gloom and doom here, but some get negative about positive things without even getting all the information. Or for whatever other reasons.

Best post here, @Greeneyedlady21 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Mea culpa for taking the original post for what it plainly says and not doing more research on my own before commenting.  I promise to be more careful next time. 

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

I wasn't aware you can get "extra" halos.   Or any halos, for that matter.  JMO

Honored Contributor

From Feb 9th People.com article

Trebek, who died on Nov. 8 at the age of 80, was committed to giving back during his life and developed relationships with various charities and causes, including supporting a nonprofit to help keep his favorite animal species, the musk ox, alive.

Just months before his death, Trebek also made a $500,000 donation to Los Angeles-based organization Hope of Valley Rescue Mission to help fund a shelter to support homeless seniors. His donation will help build a 50,000-square-foot facility located in the San Fernando Valley.

He previously donated $100,000 to the same organization to help build a different shelter in North Hollywood. The new shelter is set to feature over 80 beds and bathrooms, with a laundry room and a commissary. A wing in the structure will be named after Trebek.

"Homelessness is a serious problem. I wanted to do something, so I researched this charity, visited their facility and personally saw the good work they are doing and wanted to help," Trebek told PEOPLE at the time of his first donation in March 2020. "I hope others will do what they can as well."

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Mea culpa for taking the original post for what it plainly says and not doing more research on my own before commenting.  I promise to be more careful next time. 

@GrailSeeker, my agreement really had nothing to with your post; it was a more general observation directed at those that continually deride threads that have news that isn't necessarily all sweetness and light but informational.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland