Respected Contributor

Oh my gosh! this almost brings me to tears...Alex Trebek

[ Edited ]

I just heard a story on the news about Alex Trebek: his estate is donating 14 of his suits, plus the accoutruments (tie clips, shoes, etc) that go with them, to help men who are coming out of homelessness/drug addiction, etc., to make sure they can get nicely dressed for job interviews, etc.

I hope God has given him an extra halo. God bless that man...he's gone from this earth but his goodness lives on.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Oh my gosh! this almost brings me to tears...Alex Trebek

I saw that the family was donating his clothes on the news, but I really don't understand why it's a big deal except that it's Alex Trebek's clothes.  People donate the clothing of their deceased loved ones all the time.  In fact, whenever there is some sort of disaster, the one thing charities ask NOT to be donated is clothing.  It's nice that they were able to choose a charity that helped a particular group of people, somthing that often is not available except in larger cities. 

Respected Contributor

oh well, I just thought I'd mention something that was exceptionally kind. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

oh well, I just thought I'd mention something that was exceptionally kind. 

These days, stories of kindness matter!

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I saw that the family was donating his clothes on the news, but I really don't understand why it's a big deal except that it's Alex Trebek's clothes.  People donate the clothing of their deceased loved ones all the time.  In fact, whenever there is some sort of disaster, the one thing charities ask NOT to be donated is clothing.  It's nice that they were able to choose a charity that helped a particular group of people, somthing that often is not available except in larger cities. 

I have to agree. What else were they going to do with his clothing but donate them. Nice but not earth shattering. 

Respected Contributor

Any donation is kind, but with all due respect, he was host for 37 years. 

14 suits?

Honored Contributor

Some fortunate gentlemen will be getting some very nice suits and accessories.  Hope wearing them will lead to positive outcomes.

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten    I think this gesture is especially kind ~ thanks for sharing!  

I think we could all benefit from hearing this story about lifting others ~ it's heartwarming Heart

Honored Contributor

"No good deed goes unpunished."

@GoneButNotForgotten - I understand your reason for posting this.  Alex was a kind man and I'm certain did many charitable works during his lifetime.  His family is just honoring that and I doubt they meant for the media to make it a big deal.  Alex Trebek did his charitable work in private and didn't expect any kudos for it.

It will be a shame, if people fail to see the good, only the bad, in a simple act of kindness on the part of his still-grieving family.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Who here said it was a bad thing?? Everyday people do this. Good for all of them.