Honored Contributor

Re: Oh What a Headache I Have

@MOMMAVik,

That is so sad about your brother.

I think Natasha Richardson's death and Bob Saget's too made a lot of people realize how important it is to get any head injuries checkout out asap.

I know it did for me.

I only knew of one person long ago who hit their head was "ok" but died a week later from intracranial bleeding. I guess it can come on suddenly. So someone feels fine and then they don't.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

A former coworker fell in the street and hit her head while crossing from her daughters yard back to her yard, 5 years ago this week.  

She picked herself up and walked to her house as if nothing happened; didn't tell her husband or daughter about hitting her head.  2 days later she was talking out of her head and was taken to the ER for a diagnosis of a skull fracture, big clot on her brain and a slow bleed.  She survived surgery, but has a multitude of mental and physical problems that will apparently be with her the rest of her life.   

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Fell backwards on the driveway this morning and smacked the entire back of my head.  What a whopper of a headache I have.  Dang neuropathy makes me so unstable on my feet and balance.  Some days I feel like a walk like a drunk person.

@rms1954 

I have fallen while getting back into ice skating more times than I can remember. Over the years of playing hockey and being a referee, I had many injuries. None of my ice skating years from age 8, to my present 83, have I ever fallen and hit the back of my head.

What I have had is many broken ribs, 9 to be exact. So when I fall, or get hit by a player as a referee, I know when a rib is broken.

With each broken rib injury I did one thing immediately after I left the rink. I drove directly to the ER to get checked to see if my broken rib may have punctured 1 of my lungs.

The last time that happened and I went to the ER!! I had punctured a hole in my left lung. The pain is no different, but what would have transpired had I not stopped at the ER? 

It could have created Respiratory problems from which I might not ever recover.

If you don't know why I typed this story, I will spell it out very clearly.

Your fall on the back of your head may be more than just a typical headache. If you do not get it checked immediately you are rolling the dice.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Please get checked out!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Get it checked TODAY.

Did you know Dr. Atkins ( Of the Atkins Diet fame) died after slipping on ice in front of his NYC building, falling, and hitting his head?

Slipped on the ice and hit his head on April 8 and died on April 17.

Please have it checked out ESPECIALLY if you are having headaches.

Look up "Contrecoup Brain Injury"...the head hits a stationary object, but the brain, which has room to move in the skull, hits the inside of the skull on one side and then hit the other.

People DIE from this.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with everyone here, please get checked out.

My 16 yr. old niece fell on the ice back in February walking to the school bus. She felt fine that day, did not tell her parents. The next day she started throwing up and had blurred vision.

She had a concussion and had problems for months.  She just now got discharged from concussion rehab.

Respected Contributor

In 2009, a woman from my church was mopping her kitchen floor the day after Christmas. She slipped, banged her head on a cabinet, bounced right back up and continued mopping. The next morning, her husband couldn't wake her up. She had a brain bleed.

She was taken off life support on New Year's Day. She was only 54 years old.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @on the bay. I hope @rms1954 has been to her doctor & is doing ok
Honored Contributor

wonder if the OP passed away or something... never saw another post from her about her headache or going to see the doctor.....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

wonder if the OP passed away or something... never saw another post from her about her headache or going to see the doctor.....

@SeaMaiden  Didn't this just happen yesterday? Maybe she went to the Doctor. Who knows? Passed away??