Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I wish I was there. It's funny because when my husband wanted to move to Alaska years ago I thought he was crazy but now that I've lived where it snows I really think I'd love it there. I've did the hot SW thing for years and I'm over it. I remember when I was 18 we went to the mountains for about 2 weeks for Christmas and I loved it. I walked everywhere and loved being out in the cold and snow. 

The problem with Alaskan winters is not just the snow but the extreme cold.  I think coping with -40 degrees would get old really fast.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I wish I was there. It's funny because when my husband wanted to move to Alaska years ago I thought he was crazy but now that I've lived where it snows I really think I'd love it there. I've did the hot SW thing for years and I'm over it. I remember when I was 18 we went to the mountains for about 2 weeks for Christmas and I loved it. I walked everywhere and loved being out in the cold and snow. 

The problem with Alaskan winters is not just the snow but the extreme cold.  I think coping with -40 degrees would get old really fast.

Even tho I've been griping about another heat wave down here in PHX, Alaska is NOT an option.    I'm originally from Chicago......been in LA and PHX for 45 years, and going anyplace else is not an option......(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor
I can't imagine Winter up there when it gets to -50. You have to really be a hardy person and can deal with the long, cold, dark Winters. Brrrrrr. How does one even get the car started if it's outside?
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Thanks for sharing the picture.  So far, the leaves haven't turned here yet. I'm like a 5 year old - when I see the first snow fall here, I get so excited.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Brrrrrr, cold, but one can adapt to it. I love Fairbanks. It's a lovely city with lots of variety. You can choose sports, music, art, physical activities, etc. You have The University of Alaska Musum right there and Denali National Park is less than two hours away. Fairbanks is the land of the midnight sun and the aurora borealis is a wonder to behold. No, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce, lol. I lived there and some of my family members and I go every few years because we enjoy it so much and we have a much loved relative whose grave we visit.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't think it would be so surprising to anyone living in Fairbanks. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624...do you mind me asking what part of NM you live in? I have been researching Santa Fe as far as climate and affordability. DH and I are retired and on fixed monthly incomes (SS). The cost of living here in So. CA is outrageous. Plus our summers have become not only very hot, but humid as well. The humidity is making me ill. Any info you could share?

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

I live in Anchorage, Alaska and it doesn't get to -40. Winters seem milder.  Last year Boston was snowier and colder than us.

Honored Contributor

Re: Oh To Be In Fairbanks

[ Edited ]

@catwhisperer   I live in Rio Rancho which is just Northwest of Albuquerque, a suburb of sorts.  I retired here 16 years ago because my parents retired here and needed my help as they both had ffailing vision.

I've lived in a lot of places on the East Coast and Texas and like NM better than any other place I've lived.  Things can be a bit quirky but overall the climate is great, the cost of living is low, there are unlimited things t o see and do, good medical facilities and it's beautiful.  Santa Fe is a lot more expensive than Albuquerque and the altitude is over 6,000ft but I think it's a fun place to live.  Great restaurants, lots of entertainment sorts of things, great opera, galleries and museums as well as interesting people.  It's usually 5-10 degrees cooler there and they get more snow which still isn't much of a big deal.  There's a ski area in the mts above the city.  It's very dry all over the state.  I have no fleas, mosquitos, or roaches at my house.

I personally think NM is a much more desirable retirement location than either Florida or Arizona.  I can't stand hot humid tropical climates and Az is just too darn hot.  Albuquerque is 5200ft so we don't get as hot as Az. and we have very pleasant nights.  Come visit!

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@JAXS Mom wrote:

Even tho I've been griping about another heat wave down here in PHX, Alaska is NOT an option.    I'm originally from Chicago......been in LA and PHX for 45 years, and going anyplace else is not an option......(!)

@Desertdi   The extreme Az heat is the reason I live in NM and not there.  Much more temperate here.