Esteemed Contributor

Oh Jeez, Just Call Me Mr. Magoo

About 8 pm last night I went into the laundry room to empty the dryer. I didn't have my glasses on. I  out glanced.the glass storm door and saw one of our stray cats. One or the other is always there looking in.  It was a just glance and my brain automatically said cat.

Wait, it didn't look like one of our regulars.  Walked to the door and there was a raccoon leaning back on his haunches like, "Hey, what's up. Thans for the food and water".  When DD came in the room he/she scurried off the porch.

Moral of the story, Jane, always wear your glasses.

Respected Contributor

Re: Oh Jeez, Just Call Me Mr. Magoo

Glad you didn't let him in like that commercial that used to be on TV. I saw a photo earlier today of a raccoon at Dunkin Donuts getting a free donut at the drive through. They are up for anything. 

Honored Contributor

Reminds me of one Tv commercial where a woman thinks she's letting in her cat. She can't see b/c she needs glasses.

What Really Happens In The Sears Optical Raccoon Commercial on Make a GIF

Respected Contributor

I live in a large apartment complex.  Imagine my surprise when I heard a raccoon or something wild in the dumpster.  No way was I lifting that lid.  Drove the trash bag to a second dumpster.  Scared the **** out of me.  

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Welcome to my world. I have no excuse. I walked into a wall last weekend and I was wearing my contact lenses. I may have concussed myself.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in the Phoenix area and we have a gang of 5 that regularly come in at night and eat the cat food and mess up the water. They are huge. They come by a couple of times a night to scrounge for food. 

Esteemed Contributor

We get opossums on the porch all the time.  A raccoon is a new visitor. 

The outside cats were not happy Rocky Raccoon helped himself to their food and water.

After the trash panda departed DD gave our feline crew fresh food and water.

Respected Contributor

Caution when camping..... raccoons know how to open an ice chest.....

Esteemed Contributor

We put food out every night for our raccoon  and our possum visitors. We've had several that were as gentle as our outdoor feral cats over several decades. Were 2 at our townhome that would eat gently out of our hand.

He!! I ended up in the hospital for 7+ days on IV Antibiotics after 1 of our indoor only cats bit me. He is now our oldest cat. Long story, so will pass. 

Then we have the wild turkeys/deer/fox also. Try to make sure they have food and water. Unless they have babies near where you are approaching, most of these animals are afraid of humans.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

All of our outoor cats got along just fine eating and drinking with the raccoons and possums. Have had many of all them peering in our doors. Never mixed up which one was looking at us. I agree with you, "Jane, always wear your glasses" !  =^..^=

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

We put food out every night for our raccoon  and our possum visitors. We've had several that were as gentle as our outdoor feral cats over several decades. Were 2 at our townhome that would eat gently out of our hand.

He!! I ended up in the hospital for 7+ days on IV Antibiotics after 1 of our indoor only cats bit me. He is now our oldest cat. Long story, so will pass. 

Then we have the wild turkeys/deer/fox also. Try to make sure they have food and water. Unless they have babies near where you are approaching, most of these animals are afraid of humans.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

All of our outoor cats got along just fine eating and drinking with the raccoons and possums. Have had many of all them peering in our doors. Never mixed up which one was looking at us. I agree with you, "Jane, always wear your glasses" !  =^..^=

hckynut 🇺🇸

I have the same wildlife you do. I am in northern CA, I have a family of possums I feed and several turkeys.  Occasionally the raccoons also, they do scare me a bit to have around because I'm afraid they could harm the kitties.  Every now and then a skunk.