Esteemed Contributor

Oh Hail No! Beware, Snake Story.

CNN has a story about a man in Australia who came home to find 2 carpet pythons in his house..............they fell through the ceiling.  One was 9.5 ft. and the other was 8..2 ft.

The snake guy who removed them said it was mating season and they might have been fighting over a female that may still be in the "roof cavity."

I am not afraid of garden variety snakes but I would leave and never come back.

I have also seen pics of homes in Australia with a Giant Huntsman Spider on the wall. Can't kill you but can have a 12 in. leg span.  They can be the size of a dinner plate.

No, nope, nada.  Beautiful country, but just no.

Respected Contributor

Re: Oh Hail No! Beware, Snake Story.

Poisonous or not....no matter the size....if there was a snake in my house I would be gone!  Would never feel safe again.

I'm not usually afraid of bugs/spiders, but a spider that size would be terrifying!!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

GURLLLLLL ! ! !  Snakes coming from the ceiling !   !   !

Oh no ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a girlfriend who lived in California City ( in Mojave Desert) who opened her garage door to find dead baby rattle snake on the middle of the floor. She moved shortly thereafter.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz   I would be gone too.  I draw the line at rattlesnakes, copperheads, etc.

PA has them but not near us. My aunt lived in the country in central PA and she had bears and had a rattlesnake by her driveway. My head was on a swivel when we went there.

Esteemed Contributor

Snakes don't bother me.

I'm not afraid of them.

My dad taught me how to handle (non poisonous) snakes.

They have their place in the ecosystem, so I respect them.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 :  I grew up in Silver Spring MD; in the 1950s we sometimes encountered Copperheads.  I also remember when my parents went to a Rattlesnake Roundup(why??) in PA and brought me back a rattle ( it was my "go to" for "Show and Tell").

Respected Contributor

Reminds me of a Ben Swain line in "The Thick of It":

"Why would I want to go to Australia? It's just the world's largest collection of poisonous things."

When the ceiling's raining fighting pythons, I'd say it's time to move.

Esteemed Contributor

I give snakes a wide berth. I have seen many copperheads and water moccasins around. There are also many non-poisonous snakes in the gardens, etc. I'm always careful when I have to go into the garage- eek!

It's hard enough to keep track of the ones on the ground but no way in he** can I take them falling through the ceiling.

Valued Contributor

Snakes don't bother me. I've held several and have several pictures taken of me wrapped by a Burmese Python. I don't have enough knowledge to recognize the venomous snakes native to south Florida where I live. There are people that have non-native snakes on their property that I have seen. If snakes fell through my ceiling, I'd be more concerned to find and seal the entrance points. How on earth could they fall from the ceiling anyway? 

Don't like spiders at all. I rarely see them here in Florida. Any critter that I find in my house, I catch, and throw outside where it belongs!