Honored Contributor

Off Duty Cop Saves Woman From Abusive 'First Date'

It's a sad fact that many women have felt threatened by a man's actions or words - even while they are on a date with them.

But if it's going to happen, the best situation is for it to occur within earshot of a police officer - like it recently did for one woman being harassed while out to dinner.

'I'm having dinner with my girlfriend at the time, and behind us are a couple on a date.

It is... not going well,'wrote user ThrowAwayForPancakes. 'Guy was being rather creepy and making some pretty inappropriate comments, the girl doesn't look at all comfortable.'

One such comments came after the woman wolfed down her appetizer, presumably hoping to escape the date faster, and her suitor remarked: 'Well, least I know you can swallow right?' 

The Reddit user explained: 'Girl goes red and tells him that isn't appropriate, he literally waves his hand in a "shoo" type motion and says, "oh calm down I was going to find out in a few hours anyway."'

After that comment, the woman apparently lowered her voice and admonished him for his vulgar talk. His reaction? He decides to threaten her. 

'He responded with: "Sweetheart I picked you up, I know where you live". She lost the colour in her face and said nothing,' explained the user.

At this point, he decided that it was time to intervene, but before he was 'halfway out of my chair' a fit man in his 50s lays a hand on his shoulder and says: 'Easy... I've got this one son.'

The man turned to the woman and her crude date, pulled a chair up to their table, sat down with them and pulled out a police ID badge.

The off-duty policeman said: 'So, I'm quietly celebrating my daughters birthday with my family when I distinctly hear you threaten this young lady, would you care to explain yourself?'

The man is left utterly speechless by the situation.  

'That's what I thought. Now see, we take a very dim view of that kind of thing, so right now I'm deciding if I want to have some of my buddies come pick you up,' the cop added.  

'But that would disrupt everyone's dinner, so how about you hand me your ID, because I wouldn't want you running off on me, then you go see one of the staff here and settle your bill... the full bill now, this young lady shouldn't go hungry on account of your poor behavior. Or we can go with the first option, I'll leave it up to you.'

Flustered, the offending younger man blubbered that this was 'perfectly fine,' handed over his ID and walked to the counter to pay.

The cop turned to the young woman and told her that if she wanted something further done, he would be happy to send 'some of the boys' to pick him up on his way home. 

She declined, but told him: 'I wanted to run out 30 minutes ago but he drove me here.'

Then, in yet another incredible gesture, the cop told her to come and join his family for dinner, and then he would happily give her a lift home. 

Her date returned for just one more moment to retrieve his ID, promised the cop he wouldn't bother the woman again and then promptly 'fled the restaurant.'

The user ended the story saying: 'The girl went and sat with the cop and his family and by the time we left they were still sitting around talking and laughing about random ******.

'It was hands down the best way I have ever seen anybody handle any situation, ever. That cop is my hero.'

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Off Duty Cop Saves Woman From Abusive 'First Date'

And he's my hero too!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't have to be a 1st date for things to go wrong.

A) Excuse yourself to "go to the ladies room".

B) Leave the venue, don't look back. You got a 10 minute headstart.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy

And (C), either meet at the restaurant or have money for a taxi/uber etc.

He had driven her, so she had no way to leave.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Good advice!!....and never let him pick you up until you really know him.  Drive yourself, use a cab or Uber to meet up at a restaurant.

Honored Contributor

1st date...yikes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

Absolutely never let someone you don't know pick you up at your house.  If you are a single woman these days you must be very careful.  Another tip, don't leave your drink unattended and don't let the him bring one to you - be careful of date rape drugs.  I would certainly make an attempt to do some checking on the person first.  And be sure to let someone know  who you are going to be with. 

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Good advice!!....and never let him pick you up until you really know him.  Drive yourself, use a cab or Uber to meet up at a restaurant.

@haddon9 ITA. That's exactly what I would have done & called a cab or friend to pick me up down the street.

At that point if I did not own a gun I would buy one ASAP & learn how to use it while waiting to get it in case he shows up at my home.

Honored Contributor

Since the man had driven her he knows where she lives. That's another reason for the cop to get his ID in case he does revenge.

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes is right.  I'm happy to be old and not dating, it is too scary out there.  Good to see you Croemer.

@croemer wrote:

1st date...yikes!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam