Esteemed Contributor

Re: Off Duty Cop Saves Woman From Abusive 'First Date'

@KathyM23 wrote:

Absolutely never let someone you don't know pick you up at your house.  If you are a single woman these days you must be very careful.  Another tip, don't leave your drink unattended and don't let the him bring one to you - be careful of date rape drugs.  I would certainly make an attempt to do some checking on the person first.  And be sure to let someone know  who you are going to be with. 

Excellent advice!

Honored Contributor

This 'article' has been running around on the interweb for awhile.

Two of the most common comments I saw, 

- "She's probably a hooker" (obviously they talked about 'acts' beforehand)

- "What was theatening?"  The 'I know where you live' comment doesn't mean anything unless we heard exactly what was said right before.

I'm guessing much of this is fiction & afforded the Bored Panda website 

many hits. The original story is from Reddit, which is notoriously & brutally 

honest...or notoriously made up to cause a stir.  I vote the latter.

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like an episode of "What Would You Do?".

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 @sidsmom

I read this last night and had the same thought it sounded a bit fake to me, however taking one's own car to a first date is sound advice. 

Esteemed Contributor

This story doesn't sound real.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Daisy wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower- the story doesn't have to be real. It's a scenario that could happen, and it gives the reader some thoughts and ideas of how a first date could go sour, and what to do about it.

There is some good advice on this thread.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@Daisy...My marriage ended in my 30's and I dated/met a lot of guys. Believe me, there are A LOT of disgusting guys out there who, unfortunately, talk like that....so I could see this happening!!!

@Daisy wrote:

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I believe this story.  I never heard of woman who went on a first date and didn't have cab fare with her or didn't make "come get me" arrangements with a friend.  Thats pretty standard.  She wanted to leave 30 minutes into the date but didn't...because he drove her there, that did make me laugh out loud.  She never heard of taxis?  She could excused herself and told the hostess and the restaurant would have called a cab for her.  She coud have waited up front.  If this story happened to a woman back in the 1940's or 1950's , maybe it happened.  Otherwise...no I don't see any woman sitting through that with a man she didn't even know.  

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Doesn't have to be a 1st date for things to go wrong.

A) Excuse yourself to "go to the ladies room".

B) Leave the venue, don't look back. You got a 10 minute headstart.

Bingo!  That's why the story is questionable at best.  I actually did that at party when I was about 20.  The guy wouldn't keep his hands off me all night and he was lewd and acted like he owned, I couldn't escape him.  I wasn't about to put up with that or get in that car with him and drive home with him.  I slipped out the back door, called a cab and went home.   

Respected Contributor

OMG what a story!!!!  How lucky she was to have this wonderful officer there, and you too ,by the way.

All great advices here but women still make mistakes. Thank God for good people who cross our paths once in a while.