Honored Contributor

Re: ••• Odd Solution To Soaring Egg Prices 😀•••

I made my usual 2 month shopping excursion to Wal-Mart yesterday, and paid $4.77 per 18 count carton of eggs.  My husband eats eggs several times a week, and I use them in cooking and baking, so I will continue to buy regardless of the price.  I notice the increased prices more due to the fact I am not in a grocery store that often.  

Esteemed Contributor

This really is an interesting topic - the price of eggs, because it got me thinking, yet again, about how fortunate we are to have moved to another state that is an agricultural state.  It is so incredibly different from California in terms of price and quality of produce and other food stuffs.

We have not noticed such high prices of eggs here and the reason is probably because they come to us from just down the road a piece or across the bridge in Washington.

The difference in produce from California is astounding.  Prices are incredibly lower and the tastes soar!  Again, in many cases because it originates either in Oregon or Washington.  We've found this to be a humongous plus in moving here to retire.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

This really is an interesting topic - the price of eggs, because it got me thinking, yet again, about how fortunate we are to have moved to another state that is an agricultural state.  It is so incredibly different from California in terms of price and quality of produce and other food stuffs.

We have not noticed such high prices of eggs here and the reason is probably because they come to us from just down the road a piece or across the bridge in Washington.

The difference in produce from California is astounding.  Prices are incredibly lower and the tastes soar!  Again, in many cases because it originates either in Oregon or Washington.  We've found this to be a humongous plus in moving here to retire.

I live in an Ag state and I bought large brown eggs this morning for 1.50 a dozen.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the posts! I think it might be an interesting solution for some people.    sfnative that's a sad story I didn't know that could be transmitted from chickens.  

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

glad I don't do eggs :-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not happy that Panda Express has been substituting corn for the eggs in their fried rice. It's horrible. They think we won't notice. 

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I am not happy that Panda Express has been substituting corn for thegs in their fried rice. It's horrible. They think we won't notice. 

How can they use corn as egg replacement?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

I noticed the raise in prices recently.  An acquaintance from book club has chickens, she gave me some eggs and they were delicious, big difference in taste from store bought...........

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I am not happy that Panda Express has been substituting corn for the eggs in their fried rice. It's horrible. They think we won't notice. 

I was told this was due to food allergies.  More people are allergic to eggs than corn.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

I was told this was due to food allergies.  More people are allergic to eggs than corn.

It's only been the last few weeks since the egg issue. I talked to a worker and she confirmed this. So they decided to try something new with corn. Fried rice is NOT fried rice, without the eggs imo.