Honored Contributor

Re: Odd Comment From Marie Osmond

It's probably a general comment about helping people find good care.  I was talking this weekend with my DH about elder abuse.  It's so easy to see how that could take place without someone to act as an advocate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As far as care for the elderly,  there are some, if not many,  assisted-living and rehab facilities that I would not step foot in. jmho.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I think the OP took the words spoken to mean something else. 

I've had recent experience with a late relative and the hospitals gave the care that was needed.  I must say many of the younger patients were people who didn't care for their health or welfare in the first place and there were many of them there.  Obese, drug users, accident victims due to doing stupid things, etc.  The staff was constantly overwhelmed.  More 'care' might be given if people weren't so irresponsible with their health and with their lives. 

This was my experience in the ER last month....drug addicts looking for a fix claiming 'pain'.....our nurse told us how common it is today...

@Nataliesgramma@Puzzle Piece- I was a nurse for 50 years and still volunteer at our local hospital.  Drug addiction is a psychiatric illness with acute phases and addicts belong in an ER when they overdose and/or seek medication because they are sick like anyone else and are in crisis.  As a nurse, you don't label or judge them but try to help them physically then, with referral to addictive services for aftercare.  Drug addicts require very little actual time.  What doesn't belong in the ER are people using an ER as their personal physician for routine and minor illness rather than consulting a private doctor or clinic.  Nor does an elderly person "dumped" in an ER and abandoned by family belong there.  My husband just had a major health crisis and was never sick a day in his 69 yr life but thanks to a rapid response, sharp ER team and subsequent long hospital/rehab stay, he is well and unimpaired.  What I saw was staff trying to care for elderly people with different needs while trying to care for the acutely ill of all ages and that includes the ER. That's what takes lengthy time consumption not the addict.  We need better services and options for older people; we are living longer, we are many and occupy a lot of the time in hospitals/clinics. 

What I find disconcerting is a nurse discussing that she is "overwhelmed" or talking about other patients at all.  I question a nurse who judges people while treating them or one with a bias.  Addicts come in all forms, housewives, teachers, doctors and nurses themselves have high rates of addiction.  They aren't all homeless people ( not that it matters) or are a stereotypical version of "the addict".  Many have been "hooked" by medical professionals and some don't even believe they are addicts. 

On the matter of "self imposed illness"...obesity?  So you are saying a nurse should not care for or be disturbed by an obese person who has a heart attack?  Or maybe resent treating a person with emphysema or lung cancer who smokes?  Or face an AIDS patient with a personal bias of say lifestyle choices?  

maybe the nurse discussing her patient load or cases she is "forced" to care for should sell shoes.  

Respected Contributor

What the OP is missing and or falling for is that MO is a salesperson for s diet product that in itself is questionable as to health.

Be that as it may, she is trying to scare people into using this product so they don't ever have to go to those awful places that strive to save people's lives every second of everyday.

Humans are not perfect and doctors or nurses are not god. Life is what it is and if one chooses to eat poorly that's on them. But NutriSytem will not save it. 

MO should be ashamed of herself and the OP has used her statement to bash an institution that helps the ill.

That last person who should be promoting this product  is one who has had multiple plastic surgeries to make herself look as if she is this way all because of a product. Dr D. also has done this. Sham artists.

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

What the OP is missing and or falling for is that MO is a salesperson for s diet product that in itself is questionable as to health.

Be that as it may, she is trying to scare people into using this product so they don't ever have to go to those awful places that strive to save people's lives every second of everyday.

Humans are not perfect and doctors or nurses are not god. Life is what it is and if one chooses to eat poorly that's on them. But NutriSytem will not save it. 

MO should be ashamed of herself and the OP has used her statement to bash an institution that helps the ill.

That last person who should be promoting this product  is one who has had multiple plastic surgeries to make herself look as if she is this way all because of a product. Dr D. also has done this. Sham artists.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@Melania

Honored Contributor

I was hospitalized this past June for almost a week, it was a life threatening cumulative event.  At one point I was minutes from dying and a brilliant, fast moving nurse saved my life.

I'm at AARP age now and the care i got from the minute I entered the ER to when I was getting in a car to go home with family was outstanding. 

Respected Contributor

Marie is so odd.

I think the care in hospitals is better than assisted living or rehab in some cases.

Honored Contributor

Plain and simple, some facilities are good and some are not. You can not generalize on a topic like this.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not condemning all hospitals.

I worked at one for 20 years.   There are a lot of issues with hospitals where the CEO's are making excessive money and nurses and staff are overworked and underpaid.  

In my experience, it was all about the bottom line and making the board happy.   People were overworked, long hours and patients suffered the consequences.   Both my parents received less than stellar care when they were there and I was their advocate!

Hospitals can be great and many do great things.  However, some have incompetency in charge and it trickles down to patient care.

Respected Contributor

<how it will help her later in life to avoid the situations he sees on his job.>

I understand her/his comment . She has taken her dying mother's advice and treated her body more as a temple. Wanting not just  a long life , but also one with better quaility that her mother had as both attributed to not keeping excess weight off.

Nutri -system works for some. Marie claims it helped her to learn to eat--not diet. In that it can help some to build a healthier metabolism. She says it helped her to not make eating the focus of her life. Different things work for different people.

From what I have observed from the presentations it advocates small portions and consistent meals &snacks --which is what keeps one satiated. I have never used it , but have considered it. I see where it could help to have everything planned and ready to eat as a launch into a healthier life.

As far as hospitals I do agree that when one goes into one having an advocate is vital. Hopefully family and if not a caring social worker or ??.