Re: October's Birds Nest - Harvest Time

Bird of the Day - Green Bee Eater

Hmmm, num num num
There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

On 10/7/2014 Bird mama said:

Possummink - I love the owls, especially the one in the front that looks cross-eyed. Seeing the cat with the animated plush animal reminded me of so many antics of family cats that have now crossed the rainbow bridge. I know people who think cats are aloof and have no personality. If they only knew what we know Wink.

I'm sitting here at work on break with a heating pad across my right shoulder. Yep, we finally got to that point. I'm not much of a pill popper and it's been my experience that frozen shoulder can out muscle ibuprofen so I'm not even bothering. I'd use bengay or icy-hot or something like that except I work on a fragrance free floor and the allergic lady sits not far from me. Honestly, I can see a fragrance thing like cologne. But this one doesn't like hairspray, hand lotion, basically everything and anything. I've actually been having thoughts about her being put in a plastic bubble (lol).

For now, the stretching and heating pad and restoring my sense of humor.

I hope everyone that visits the nest is doing okay. It's cooler here and I feel guilty about saying more rain is on the way. Sorry Freddie - wish I could send it to SouCal.

Try SportsGel, it is odorless after applying. I get it at Vitacost.

Honored Contributor

Mousiegirl - I will check into SportsGel. Is Vitacoast a website? The name doesn't sound familiar to me - of course there could be one 2 miles away and I don't know about it (lol).

Bird of the Day - Bluethroat

Honored Contributor

On 10/8/2014 Bird mama said:

Mousiegirl - I will check into SportsGel. Is Vitacoast a website? The name doesn't sound familiar to me - of course there could be one 2 miles away and I don't know about it (lol).

Bird of the Day - Bluethroat

Yes, I buy a lot of my supplements, dog chews, etc. here. www.vitacost.com

Respected Contributor

As usual, I just love all the great pictures. Possum, especially like the blinking owls. Soooooo cute.

Still am in amazement over how long the food is lasting in the feeders these days. Am sure we have lost a lot of them due to the heat and severe lack of water.

Am suppose to do some washing this morning but hung out some wash late yesterday afternoon and of course it is all still on the clothesline. They were washed at the laundromat - it makes no sense that I have to spend a fortune at the laundromat to cut back on my water usage here at the home - fines being thrown in at the rate of $500 a day for using more than the water company feels we should use. Losing a lot of my shrubs, last couple of my Mother's rose bushes and the back yard is almost completely gone. You drive around and at least half, if not more, of the homes have no green grass any more. Horrible looking but everyone is feeling the pinch. Actually not everyone as some homes are spending a fortune keeping their grass green. Suspect they will be hit between the eyes shortly with fines but who knows they may have plenty of money to handle it. Not me. Let me add to the toash still on the line it looks like sin. Grands hung it out and I had a fit as they are such slobs - in my opinion - even their Mother who is in her early 40s. My grandmother taught me how to hang clothes and I still do it her way, looks nice, dries fast and they are not messed up when dry. Mercy me but I dread to see how some of these things will look.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Winifred - kids these day don't know about the fine art of hanging out a load of wash on the line.

Bird of the Day - Grey Cheeked Thrush

this one spotted something interesting in the field

Honored Contributor

Happy Friday, Birding Friends.

I wanted to ask you your opinion about the future 'bird of the day'. I've mentioned before that the Audubon calendar I use sometimes repeats birds. I've had a Sibley's Field Guide for Eastern North America (east of Rockies) for some time and recently purchased the Sibley's Field Guide for Western North America (west of Rockies). Each guide appears to be laid out the same way - start with Loons, then proceed to another category, like Finches and so on.

I will be using these guides as filler for those days that the Audubon calendar repeats a bird I've posted before. I know, I am crazy in that I've been keeping an excel workbook {#emotions_dlg.unsure} to track what I've posted.

As I select birds from each guide, I will note if it's Eastern NA or Western NA.

Question - will you be bored if I work through the guides as they are laid out? Like all the loons, then all the next category.

If you would prefer more variety, I can pick an Eastern Loon one day and then it's Western partner, then go on to a different category of bird.

I'm probably overthinking it again, let me know what you think. Of course I will continue to look for the exotic birds too.

Honored Contributor

Bird of the Day - Chilean Flamingo

Honored Contributor

On 10/10/2014 Bird mama said:

Happy Friday, Birding Friends.

I wanted to ask you your opinion about the future 'bird of the day'. I've mentioned before that the Audubon calendar I use sometimes repeats birds. I've had a Sibley's Field Guide for Eastern North America (east of Rockies) for some time and recently purchased the Sibley's Field Guide for Western North America (west of Rockies). Each guide appears to be laid out the same way - start with Loons, then proceed to another category, like Finches and so on.

I will be using these guides as filler for those days that the Audubon calendar repeats a bird I've posted before. I know, I am crazy in that I've been keeping an excel workbook {#emotions_dlg.unsure} to track what I've posted.

As I select birds from each guide, I will note if it's Eastern NA or Western NA.

Question - will you be bored if I work through the guides as they are laid out? Like all the loons, then all the next category.

If you would prefer more variety, I can pick an Eastern Loon one day and then it's Western partner, then go on to a different category of bird.

I'm probably overthinking it again, let me know what you think. Of course I will continue to look for the exotic birds too.

Love them all, Bird mama, so it doesn't matter to me.

Respected Contributor

Please tell me why when I washed clothes yesterday, the hamper is half full already. Sigh.

Very nice day here in Sou Cal - will be in the high 80s but I froze earlier this morning.

Took Conrad to the Vet as late afternoon yesterday I was not sure what happened to him - finally figured out little Girl Kitty ambushed him. That poor old dog is so sweet and gentle and that little kitty is a lover, smooches but occasionally ambushes. I think she nailed him pretty good. Vet checked him and said he is in great shape for 8 years old - teeth and everything. If he acts up again will take him back for blood samples. Always something. That kitty cannot retrieve her nails - she walks across even a bed sheet and gets stuck in them so have been having to have her nails clipped a lot. Not sure what to do with her - belongs to the grands but with their two kitties, my two old cats and one old dog I think it is a bit much especially for Conrad. She also has very long and sharp teeth. LOL. She does not fight, just wants to push on occasion - she is a lover believe it or not.

I just enjoy looking at the birds regardless of what they are. Some are fasscinating and some not so much but that does not mean I do not enjoy all of them. Don't care how or what are displayed.

Our HUGE city is having a street faire tomorrow - it is really bad. We are a small town, run by small town mentality, therefore what happens here is kind of boring most times. Shame on me but I have no objection to a small street fair, just one that is horribly boring and ours are.

Hope all have a great day.