Honored Contributor

Re: October's Birds Nest - Harvest Time

Autumn

Hi Birding Friends, We did have storms roll through and we are still under a severe thunderstorm watch for a few more hours.

Sorry about the previous post, strange things happen with this on screen keyboard. With my arm cramping up, it does random jerky movements and I can't control them at times so I may land on submit way before I want to, or the print size changes, etc.

Birdmama, I have been concerned about my right arm for several months, as old unwanted but familiar twinges of pain have been happening and becoming more frequent. I thought about the frozen shoulders coming back, but also remembered that one of the consequences of multiple cortisone shots is deterioration of the joints, especially, if it's in a 'closed' area such s the shoulder area compared to the elbow joint. I sure hope you are able to avoid cortisone shots. Boy, do they bring back ''joyful'' memories. NOT!!

My hand slipped and I clicked on submit before I could stop it, so now I m editing, trying to close this 'gracefully.' It's so frustrating. Guess I'll quit before I actually delete this.

Sussex Countryside, England. Fall into autumn

Respected Contributor

Bird mama, hope your shoulder problems disappear - not good at all. Possum, I know about the cortisone shots also. Have had several and put my foot down about having any more in my thumbs - due to arthritis. Yes, they were tremendously helpful but I just will not have any more and my MD got really upset with me but I do not like the side effects. Do not know how cortisone shots are regulated anywhere but here - perhaps the same - but here you cannot have more than 1 in any six month period in the same location. So I have only limited use of my thumbs due to the ongoing pain but still will not take another one of those shots.

Going to be a H O T day out here in Sou Cal. Isn't this OCtober which normally is a good month for us. Yes, it often is super warm here in October and shorts and flip flops are still quite common but this surge in heat is NOT always present. Going to be in triple digits but they say it will be very very low humidity - that is a blessing. Now we also have to be careful of fires due to the dryness due to the drought and very high temps. By next week we will be in temps more like our normal - high 80s. Trying to figure out how to keep everyone content between 2 and 6 today - we have to cut back on electricity so there will be enough to go around. Sigh.

Hope to get the feeders filled as they are empty. Our birds are not as plentiful as we normally have - suspect the drought has taken it's toll on them also - not a good thing. But will get some clean water in the bird bath and food out there for those feathered ones who venture out.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, I feel guilty writing this - it's raining and I'm expecting some thunderstorms ahead of the cold front. I received a letter from my electrical provider (DTE) announcing that smart meters will be installed in my community over the next month. Apparently these things will transmit my usage and no more meter readers (there goes another job category). So I have 2 - my A/C is on one meter and the rest of the house is on another. It was like this when I bought the house - DTE is allowed to futz with the A/C (interrupt sometimes) if the grid is overloaded in the summer. Well, the meters are on the outside wall and in front of the wall is an old evergreen shrub. The letter advised that the meter people will need clear access to replace the old with the new meters. I called DTE and the vendor who will be performing the service and told them, look I am not pulling out this shrub or killing it and displacing my sparrow population. It's DTE's idea to replace the meters, I didn't ask for them. The meter readers and I can see the meters above the shrub, we just can't reach over the shrub (unless you are plastic man - LOL).

I told both groups of people involved that I would concede and see if I could trim the back near the wall to allow a small crawl space between the wall and the shrub. I asked that they note that a skinny technician will be required for my house (ROFL). I have a feeling I will be scheduling an appointment and arranging to be home that day.

I think they think I am crazy worrying about the birds and the shrub. They have no idea just how crazy I am {#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Bird of the Day - Layson Albatross

Looks like they are wearing eye makeup
Proud parents
Honored Contributor

Bird for the weekend - Eurasian Magpie

Helping out a buddy

Honored Contributor

Beautiful fall

Hi Birding Friends, It's downright cold here now, and last night. We are trying to hold off clicking the switch on that would start the furnace. I have a turtleneck, sweatshirt, and a flannel shirt on and am a bit chilly. It's 38 outside according to one of the weather aps. I have on my phone. The remote indoor/outdoor temperature thingy says 41, so I guess it's about 40. I got up last night and put a sweatshirt on over my nightgown and wished I had a sweatshirt for my nose. I don't know what a cold nose has to do with falling asleep, but my cold nose does keep me awake a lot.

My brothers are leaving in the morning for a few days of fishing up in northern Missouri. They love going up there to fish for crappie and bass. I am hoping that they bring back some persimmons. I haven't checked the pawpaw trees yet, nor the chestnuts. Usually the squirrels and deer beat me to the chestnuts.

My sassafras trees are starting to show their beautiful fall colors. One of them is already a flaming scarlet color with touches of gold and orange on some of the leaves. It's gorgeous and doesn't get quite as much sun as most of the others, as it's under part of a huge pin oak tree leaf spread.

I need to stop typing as my arm is starting to cramp up on me. Have a nice Sunday and stay safe.

Getty-fall-leaves-lgn.jpg (375×500)

Honored Contributor

Sunday Blessings I hope Bird mama and possummink will soon have relief from their arm pain. To all my birding friends, I wish you all a nice day.

Edited to decrease the size of my graphic. It was HUGE!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Honored Contributor

Wowwie Puddles, that was originally the cardinal that ate Cleveland {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

The bird of the day - Marbled Godwit

This bird was probably stretching, but it looks like it tripped, Whoopsie

Honored Contributor

becausebirds: “ *parliament blinks* ”

Hi Birding Friends, I hope you had a nice weekend. It is warming up some here and should be in the 70ies this afternoon. I have an appointment with my eye doctor in a couple of hours.
I noticed a wild grape vine way up in one of the black walnut trees and was going to cut the stalk/stem/trunk of that vine to kill that plant. When I got through the tangle of shrubs and undergrowth, I saw that my big loping shears were no match for that vine. Its trunk/stem? is as big around as my arm. My brother will have to use one of the chain saws to take that thing down.

Puddles, When you get the time, could you tell me how you 'downsize' big graphics and photos? I know how to re-size my own photos on Photobucket and on my smartphone, but haven't figured out how to do it with other persons graphics/photos. I did see the big cardinal yesterday, and was amazed to see it beautifully re sized this morning. Safe and easy travel Wednesday.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Have a great day, Birding Friends, need to fix some breakfast before heading out today.

whoa.

Honored Contributor

Possummink - I love the owls, especially the one in the front that looks cross-eyed. Seeing the cat with the animated plush animal reminded me of so many antics of family cats that have now crossed the rainbow bridge. I know people who think cats are aloof and have no personality. If they only knew what we know Wink.

I'm sitting here at work on break with a heating pad across my right shoulder. Yep, we finally got to that point. I'm not much of a pill popper and it's been my experience that frozen shoulder can out muscle ibuprofen so I'm not even bothering. I'd use bengay or icy-hot or something like that except I work on a fragrance free floor and the allergic lady sits not far from me. Honestly, I can see a fragrance thing like cologne. But this one doesn't like hairspray, hand lotion, basically everything and anything. I've actually been having thoughts about her being put in a plastic bubble (lol).

For now, the stretching and heating pad and restoring my sense of humor.

I hope everyone that visits the nest is doing okay. It's cooler here and I feel guilty about saying more rain is on the way. Sorry Freddie - wish I could send it to SouCal.