Honored Contributor

Re: October Is Italian Heritage Month

[ Edited ]

@Oznell

My mother's parents were Italian immigrants from Abruzzo.  My grandfather would travel to Rome just for opera.

My grandmother died during the Great Depression when my mother was eight.  A Tuscan neighbor taught her to cook so, growing up, I don't even remember olive oil in the house -- just a lot of butter, cream and pork.

My grandfather had blue eyes, my grandmother -- tall and auburn-haired -- had green.  When I was 19 my blue eyes turned green and I didn't even notice until a college boyfriend pointed it out.

I don't quibble when it comes to Northern versus Southern cuisine.  I like both.

But when it comes to dessert, Sicilians do it better. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

My mother's parents were Italians.  Her mother was from Naples and I'm not sure where her father came from.  I grew up among a lot of ethnic Italians, including one Mafia boss who ultimately got caught and had a well-publicized trial.  That was a long time ago.  I love the tomato sauce and pasta, especially lasagna.  I'm not fond of Italian desserts, but no one eats like the Italians and Italian-Americans.  One uncle was blond and when he was mentioned, people would always say "Uncle Tony, he's northern Italian."

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone do the 7 fishes thing for Chrismas Eve? My best friend used to carry on the tradition every year.

She told me last week when we were having breakfast that this will be her last year...it is too much work....

Honored Contributor

I think it is great to have a celebration for any ethnic group!  It is a way to learn about other cultures and traditions.

We can celebrate our own cultures and we can celebrate cultures that are not part of our heritage.

It's all good.   I don't see it as excluding anyone.  You have to remember that some areas of our country have a higher number of one group than others; so it follows that celebrations may seem as though they are taking the spotlight but it isn't true.

Plenty of celebrations to go around.

We have the Texas Folklife Festival where more than 40 groups celebrate their unique heritages with food, dances, etc.  Not too shabby.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@meallen616 wrote:

Image result for october italian heritage month imagesImage result for october italian heritage month images

Me tooSmiley Wink

Jamma

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oznell

My mother's parents were Italian immigrants from Abruzzo.  My grandfather would travel to Rome just for opera.

My grandmother died during the Great Depression when my mother was eight.  A Tuscan neighbor taught her to cook so, growing up, I don't even remember olive oil in the house -- just a lot of butter, cream and pork.

My grandfather had blue eyes, my grandmother -- tall and auburn-haired -- had green.  When I was 19 my blue eyes turned green and I didn't even notice until a college boyfriend pointed it out.

I don't quibble when it comes to Northern versus Southern cuisine.  I like both.

But when it comes to dessert, Sicilians do it better. Woman Wink

Oh I'm not to sure about that..  My Grandparents (Maternal) were from Naples ----they can cook and bake with the best of them.  My paternal Grands were from Florence---not to shabby --- but not as good.

Jamma