Respected Contributor

Observations at Curbside Pickup

I forgot the buttermilk for my cornbread dressing, so yesterday I did a quick order and added some more things for curbside pickup. They had no pickup times available for yesterday, so I scheduled this morning (Tuesday) at 9:00 am. We parked beside the exit to the waiting area, and we could see everyone's order in the baskets.

Most of the orders were small, but two were quite large, and I saw they each had a frozen turkey. I guess they will have to defrost their bird in cold water. I don't know how they could get one thawed in two days in the refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

Re: Observations at Curbside Pickup

Maybe that person will be eating their turkey at some later date after TG Day.

Esteemed Contributor

First time cooks - newly weds?

Buying now for Christmas?

My niece with her first turkey - a bride - put "T" in the pan breast side down.

Still laughs about it but probably not the first time it's been done.

Honored Contributor

@On It    Buttermilk or sour cream substitute for cooking = 3 Tbsp. of vinegar in 1 cup milk. Let it sit 5 min.  Saves a trip to the store.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@fthunt I cook my turkey breast side down to avoid the breast being dry. One of the meteorologists on a San Antonio TV station said to cook it that way. I tried it, and it is much more moist.

We do essentially bake our turkey rather than roast it.

Respected Contributor

I don’t have enough room in fridge to defrost a turkey. I defrost it in the sink like my mother did before me. No one has died yet.
Honored Contributor

How can you tell the turkeys were frozen?  I was at Costco today and they had turkeys and I said to my DH that it is too late to buy a frozen Turkey.

When I looked again, and read the wrapper, they were fresh turkeys.  They are packaged the same way as the frozen ones.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie     Fresh turkeys have never been frozen.  They were just slaughtered.  My mom liked them, said they tasted better.  They were all the same to me. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   I know that fresh turkeys have never been frozen.  I normally get them at the farmers market and they are sold in a plastic bag and they do taste  better to me, but I prefer chicken.

The ones from Costco were in the same type of shrink wrap as frozen turkeys.  It was impossible to tell if they were frozen solid, fresh or pre-thawed.

There is no way anyone should know if a Turkey was frozen solid or fresh from looking at it in a shopping basket.  You would need to be close enough to read the print.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

I forgot the buttermilk for my cornbread dressing, so yesterday I did a quick order and added some more things for curbside pickup. They had no pickup times available for yesterday, so I scheduled this morning (Tuesday) at 9:00 am. We parked beside the exit to the waiting area, and we could see everyone's order in the baskets.

Most of the orders were small, but two were quite large, and I saw they each had a frozen turkey. I guess they will have to defrost their bird in cold water. I don't know how they could get one thawed in two days in the refrigerator.

Sometimes, people don't cook them on Thanksgiving Thursday, but perhaps Saturday or even Sunday.  That's actually going to be the case for us.