QVC Customer Care
Honored Contributor

Re: Observations after shopping at Aldi today....

Going to Aldi the first time is a little offputting if you don't know the rules.

1. Take an experienced Aldi veteran with you the first time if convenient, but it's not strictly necessary.
  2. Bring quarters to get a cart. You get the quarter back when you take the cart back. Or you can leave the quarter behind to pay it forward for the next person and get your good deed out of the way for the day.
  3. Bring your own bags or boxes.
  4. Be ready to bag your own groceries in a separate bagging area.
  5. Be prepared to be very unfussy. Aldi is an unfussy place. If you just tell people you are new and confused and don't know what you're doing, they'll be a lot more patient with you.

Did you know that if you see an empty box or almost empty box on a pallet you can take it to put your groceries in it--no charge?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I love Aldi's! Such a great selection of cheeses, dips, seasonal foods, European brands and cheap almond and organic milk. Their Vegan items are really good and a lot cheaper. I'm not sure why you wouldn't shop there but I guess that sounds just as judgy too, my bad. 

@GenXmuse I buy a lot of Aldi's  'Earth Grown' items, they're great vegan &/or  dairy free items at a fraction of what they might be in Whole Foods. 

Also their low carb pitas - and Net Carb Zero loaves of bread. 

I love their hummus best- but they haven't had the singles in such a long time!  

Respected Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Meowingkitty - you mentioned Sprouts? What is that a produce market or grocery store. TIA

Sprouts is a cross between a farmers market and a health food store. 
Before COVID, they had self serve bins of nuts, rice, beans, flour, sugar,etc. You can buy one once or ten pounds of any product in the bulk bins. 
Sprouts also has a deli and a meat and seafood counter. 

Esteemed Contributor

No Aldi anywhere near me, and I have never been in one, but at the grocery store that I go to, carts are free and you bag your own groceries, which is no big deal for me.

They do provide bags at ten cents per bag.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I was just at Aldi a couple hours ago.  No shortages of anything I wanted. 

My Aldi is a more expensive one.  Took my DD to one by her school and was shocked at the low prices on bagels, sour cream, cream cheese, mustard etc.  

OP said eggs went from 44¢ to 88¢. I'd be thrilled at 88¢  Mine were $1.19

Just paid $2.85 for gallon of fat free milk there because my Costco for some reason hasn't had FF milk the last couple times I went.

I don't mind Aldi, but I still had to stop at the chain grocery store on the way home for a few things 

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

People living on the streets are probably taking the carts. People living out of their cars due to evictions, no jobs to go to, etc.

can't evict anyone during the whole covid thing.  sucks right now to have rental properties. the renters know you can't evict them. they don't have to pay at all.  i just keep getting stuck with all the sewer, garbage, and insurance $$. grrrrrr

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee, you mentioned that there were no limits on anything. I really wish that all markets would limit items that seem to be hard to find.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

People living on the streets are probably taking the carts. People living out of their cars due to evictions, no jobs to go to, etc.

can't evict anyone during the whole covid thing.  sucks right now to have rental properties. the renters know you can't evict them. they don't have to pay at all.  i just keep getting stuck with all the sewer, garbage, and insurance $$. grrrrrr

@kittyloo 

I feel for you. Good luck collecting back rent when this is all over.

Respected Contributor

I must be a grocery store snob. I don’t mind bagging my own groceries but the idea of renting a grocery cart is off-putting to me 😀.