Honored Contributor

Re: Observations after shopping at Aldi today....

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why does anyone shop at this store?

@Kachina624   We just got ours last year. I like it. I notice everyone seems to have their favorite and non favorite stores. 

I don't understand the draw. In Arizona they opened one or two a couple of weeks ago with more expected. They are to far to drive when I have my choice of Sprouts, Safeway, Bashas, 2 Walmart superstores and 1 Walmart grocery store and a Kroger all within a 5 minutes drive.

If you live in an urban area you are fortunate to have a lot of different options for grocery shopping...I live more rural...we shop at available stores....there is not an aldi in my home town...it's about 30 miles away.  My town has 2 grocery stores...one a chain the other familiy owned.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Strange to me also.  Aldi's is my mom's go to store for her "fruits."

In South Joisey/Jerzzzzzz you pay $0.25 for a shopping cart....

The store has no shopping bags.  Either you bring your own bags or grab cardboard boxes (from the liquor store next store)....

Bag/box your own groceries.

I went there 20 years ago, had to put down money for a cart, had to bag my own groceries, but didn't have a bag, so had to carry an arm load 3 times. I said ,never again. People go there because it's cheaper, but I don't want my corn canned in the Phillipines. I'll pay the extra price.

Honored Contributor

We don't have Aldi but I did go to Costco this morning.  My list was toilet paper, Kleenex, paper towels, Clorox Disinfectant wipes, laundry detergent pods, Dawn, sunflowers and a rotisserie chicken.  I am heading back into quarantine for the winter with the spiking Covid numbers.  I got everything except they were sold out of paper towels and toilet paper.  

Honored Contributor

Aldi is fun. It's like a cheapy Trader Joes. There are more Aldis around than Trader Joes so they're more convenient to get to.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

1) Bread shortage so limit 2 bread items per customer

2) The only frozen fish is shrimp, 1 type of fish stick and stuffed clams

3) No frozen vegis. Very limited canned vegis.

4) No limit on anything and stocked to the gills with TP, Paper towels, hand soap and hand sanitizer plus their version of Lysol wipes.

5) Prices have gone up on almost everything I purchase by almost double. Eggs went from 44 cents to 88 cents. Chips went from $1.39 a bag to $2.60 a bag. Nuts went from $9 a large jar to $15 a large jar and so on.

6) Plenty of flour, sugar and yeast.

Other than a pack of 2 bone in chicken breasts, everything was pantry/basic staples. No junk food other than chips (which I buy every week because you have to have plain chips with tuna fish, lol). $127. I was taken aback but there it is. Looking at my spreadsheet, I paid $55 for the same items (and amount) this time last year back in MD. 

I've also noticed that a majority of Aldi's prices are on level with their name brand counterparts sold at Walmart. So, driving much further to Aldi isn't saving me much money on many things it once did. I think I'll go there ony to purchase items we like specific to Aldi and save time and gas and go to my local Walmart Super Center.

Oh, they are missing almost 75% of their carts. No one knows why. So now you have to wait in line until someone returns a cart unless you want to carry everything in your arms. Bizarre to say the least. 

Wow...does not sound too good.and no carts? I would not shop there!

Valued Contributor

AS otheres have said Aldi's have varying prices based on location although I have noticed at Aldi's closest to me they have been doing another re-organization in the store.  I have found they are carrying many more name brand items that run about the same price as regular stores.  Yes, prices in Aldi's have been climbing but the regular stores in our area have also.  Milk went from $1.06 to $1.60 at Aldi's but it beats the $3.50 store brand milk price or $4.50 name brand.  

Grocery shopping for me has become a game as dh and I have had a declining interest in food.  I stop into Aldi's, Lidl's and local stores depending on sales and where I am that day.  

Honored Contributor

Aren't Trader Joe's and Aldi owned by the same German company?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Strange to me also.  Aldi's is my mom's go to store for her "fruits."

In South Joisey/Jerzzzzzz you pay $0.25 for a shopping cart....

The store has no shopping bags.  Either you bring your own bags or grab cardboard boxes (from the liquor store next store)....

Bag/box your own groceries.

@Mz iMac  You do know you get your quarter back when you return your cart don't you? One less person that has to be paid to collect carts which everyone leaves in the parking lot.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne   I went to Costco this afternoon. They had  Lots of Bounty paper towels..one to a customer only and "no name" TP.  No Scott's or name brands.

I have found that my regular grocery stores and Target has Clorex and Lysol wipes, but I don't need any. I bought some at my last visit to Costco and have enough.  I just bought a few grocery items, Bounty and bottled water.

I have a feeling we are going to be locked down again.  COVID is really hitting high numbers here and my DH was told at a morning meeting that he might be laid off from his part time job due to COVID.  They are waiting for instructions and a decision.

He is leaving the first of the year anyway. He's has had enough of working.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I think we are going to be shut down also because the numbers are really scary especially for a "hoax"!  I had to pick up a prescription at Costco so I figured I would get extra toilet paper, etc - guess I was too late.  There was none of any brand.