Super Contributor

Re: Observations after shopping at Aldi today....

44 cents or 88 cents per eggs? Per 1 egg? Dozen? Half dozen?

Fred Meyer here have the cheapest eggs at $1.40, Trader Joe at $2.59.

I've never ever seen eggs priced that low.

Super Contributor

@alice87 wrote:

Aldi's here eggs per dozen are .77.

Trusted Contributor

For those of you who do shop at Aldi's I recommend you try Aldi's version of Sparkling Ice

Amazon.com : Sparkling ICE Variety Pack, 17 Fl Oz, 12Count (Black Cherry,  Peach Nectarine, Coconut Pineapple, Pink Grapefruit) (2 Case(12 Count)) :  Grocery & Gourmet Foodwhich is usually sold for $1 each.  Aldi's version sells for $.48.  They are called Frosts and IMO taste better than Sparkling Ice. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I have a question.

As I said, I have never been to Aldi, and I understand from reading here, that it costs a quarter to get a cart, and you get your quarter back when you return the cart.

I just wonder how many people just forgo getting their quarter back, and leave the cart in a cart coral in the parking lot?

Are there cart corals in the parking lot?

Sorry for my stupid questions.

The Aldi's that I went to is in a smaller shopping center - with lots of stores. There is no cart coral ---- and I prefer to park away from most of the cars. It would be quite a walk to put the cart back.

Trusted Contributor

@alice87 wrote:

@alice87 Sorry, I assumed that you shop at Aldi if you're reading this thread. It was 44 cents a dozen, now 88 cents a dozen. I've never known Aldi to sell anything but a dozen egg carton. Maybe they do elsewhere but in the 8 I've been to (MD, NoVA and FL) it's only been a full dozen carton.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Yesterday, I happened to be near the newly opened German-owned Lidl  grocery (prounounced like "needle") so made a long-planned first visit to check it out.

Quite an experience in atmosphere and  low prices, compared with the Aldi, Walmart, Costco, Kroger and Publix stores that I visit regularly.

Found some items incredibly cheap and a great bargain. 

Some were incredibly cheap-looking, some had  great apparent quality and some had readily apparent bad quality, such as  one package of seriously moldy cheese mixed in with fresh packages,  and some ugly produce mixed with good.

If anyone else can comment on their early experiences with Lidl, post in a new thread, if one hasn't already been created for Lidl.

Lidl is opening stores all over the U.S.  The one near us took over space from a failed Fresh Market store, which I never went in  more than once and didn't like.

I made my first visit in years to the local Trader Joe's and wasn't any more impressed than with TJ in the state where I previously lived.  Also don't care for Sprouts.  Not likely to visit either one often or at all.

We've got all those stores not far from my home, plus a new Greenwise store that Publix recently opened to sell all-organic produce and household goods.  Haven't been there yet, so would love to see comments about it.

@novamc1 a Lidl opened not too far from me- if I was in the area running errands I'd stop by. When they first opened they had a lot of 'loss leaders' to get shoppers in. My receipts even had $5 off coupons for the next visit! I loved the place! But after a few months they're just okay- it isn't hitting me as much as it was at first. I can get most everything there at Aldi's at a comparable price(much closer to my home). 

Esteemed Contributor

@Maestra1 wrote:

@alice87 wrote:

Aldi's here eggs per dozen are .77.

@Maestra1 one Aldi's by me had eggs 48 cents a dozen; the other had them for $1.12 at the same time! Either/or is a great price !! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Sprouts here looks messy and disorganized, they don't have much that is organic, and I can't get the other groceries I normally. To me their stock of basics is woefully inadequate.

Aldi's?  No because I like to buy what I know is good and not mess around with unknowns.  And the stuff in the middle doesn't interest me, checkout is a pain and it's almost insulting to have to pay a quarter to use a cart.  

@Sooner Insulting? Not at all- they're keeping their costs down by not having an employee stationed in the parking lot. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee , I noticed the same thing at my Aldi (Missouri).  They really went up in price on almost everything.  It got to where it was just as cheap to shop at Wal-Mart as long as a person bought store-brand items.  (Wal-Mart is much closer to me.) That being said, some of Wal-Mart's Great Value items have really gone down in quality.  I used to think that they were just as good as name brand, but no longer.  Canned pinapple will have a tough core, the brown sugar is pale--almost white, tomato paste is bitter, etc.  I'm still buying Great Value, but if I buy something that no longer meets my standards, I switch to brand name on that item.  I still go to Aldi occasionally for some things that I like there.

I noticed that most of the Great Value products are BAD.Won't be buying any of them.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Sprouts here looks messy and disorganized, they don't have much that is organic, and I can't get the other groceries I normally. To me their stock of basics is woefully inadequate.

Aldi's?  No because I like to buy what I know is good and not mess around with unknowns.  And the stuff in the middle doesn't interest me, checkout is a pain and it's almost insulting to have to pay a quarter to use a cart.  

@Sooner Insulting? Not at all- they're keeping their costs down by not having an employee stationed in the parking lot. 

@Ibby114 On the other hand, if we could all contribute a quarter when we go to the grocery store, would it give some one a job?