Trusted Contributor

Re: Observations after shopping at Aldi today....

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3   The shortage of items really appears to depend on where you are in the country. Where I am, there isn't a shortage on anything (paper towels, TP, wipes, etc) so I was surprised that Aldi had a sign stating limit of 2 bread items due to shortage. Walmart has bread galore, so does Publix, Winn Dixie...I don't know why Aldi doesn't. Publix and Winn Dixie have plenty of frozen vegis, fruit and fish; Aldi did not. Walmart had lots of frozen fruit, frozen fish and vegis but was out of frozen potato products (tator tots, french fries and onion rings) but other stores, including Aldi has then, no problem.

Maybe it's a regional thing as to why one food item is aways gone while another area has plenty...it's a mystery, that's for sure.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@suzyQ3   The shortage of items really appears to depend on where you are in the country. Where I am, there isn't a shortage on anything (paper towels, TP, wipes, etc) so I was surprised that Aldi had a sign stating limit of 2 bread items due to shortage. Walmart has bread galore, so does Publix, Winn Dixie...I don't know why Aldi doesn't. Publix and Winn Dixie have plenty of frozen vegis, fruit and fish; Aldi did not. Walmart had lots of frozen fruit, frozen fish and vegis but was out of frozen potato products (tator tots, french fries and onion rings) but other stores, including Aldi has then, no problem.

Maybe it's a regional thing as to why one food item is aways gone while another area has plenty...it's a mystery, that's for sure.

@FiddleDeeDee 

It could be where Aldi gets its veggies from.

Their supplier could be having shortages.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I must be a grocery store snob. I don’t mind bagging my own groceries but the idea of renting a grocery cart is off-putting to me 😀.

You are not renting the cart, you are putting a deposit on it to ensure it's return at which time you get your quarter back. I like that system since it keeps carts from being left in the parking lot where on windy days they get blown into cars causing damage.

I was at Aldi today, no shortages, no limits. I got pizza dough for 95 cents, red grapes for 99 cents a lb, a French baguette for $1.29...

I take insulated bags and prefer to pack my groceries myself, my way keeping plastic bags out of our environment.

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@Meowingkitty - you mentioned Sprouts? What is that a produce market or grocery store. TIA

I live in Colorado and Sprouts is a small grocery store . It has meats, fresh and frozen meat and vegetables, fruits, bread, cheeses, deli counter, specialty products, milk, bread, eggs, butter, frozen food, pastries. I think their prices are reasonable. I go their occasionally when I don't want to go King Soopers. 

Honored Contributor

Always had really good luck with Aldi's and rarely found a product of theirs that I did not like.  We have been having food delivered since March and occasionally they will be out of something, but it hasn't been bad so far.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, I happened to be near the newly opened German-owned Lidl  grocery (prounounced like "needle") so made a long-planned first visit to check it out.

Quite an experience in atmosphere and  low prices, compared with the Aldi, Walmart, Costco, Kroger and Publix stores that I visit regularly.

Found some items incredibly cheap and a great bargain. 

Some were incredibly cheap-looking, some had  great apparent quality and some had readily apparent bad quality, such as  one package of seriously moldy cheese mixed in with fresh packages,  and some ugly produce mixed with good.

If anyone else can comment on their early experiences with Lidl, post in a new thread, if one hasn't already been created for Lidl.

Lidl is opening stores all over the U.S.  The one near us took over space from a failed Fresh Market store, which I never went in  more than once and didn't like.

I made my first visit in years to the local Trader Joe's and wasn't any more impressed than with TJ in the state where I previously lived.  Also don't care for Sprouts.  Not likely to visit either one often or at all.

We've got all those stores not far from my home, plus a new Greenwise store that Publix recently opened to sell all-organic produce and household goods.  Haven't been there yet, so would love to see comments about it.

Super Contributor

WOW.  Interesting comment..... ! ! !

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee, you mentioned that there were no limits on anything. I really wish that all markets would limit items that seem to be hard to find.

Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why does anyone shop at this store?

i am not a fan......and ours is only a few years old.

i like CHOICES when i grocery shop and this store is VERY limited......plus i dont like that they dont have a deli or fresh bakery.

That is the point of the store.  The less people they have to pay (ie, just stockers and check out clerks), the cheaper the price.   

I don't shop at Aldi's for a full shopping experience.  I go there for basic stuff (pizza,  creal (only their "store" brand of Frosted Mini Wheat, don't expect to find stuff like Capt Crunch there (well sometimes they might have stuff like that), certain types of canned veg like Peas or Carrots).  I go to BJ's or my local regular grocery store for meat and a real shopping expereince if they don't have it at Aldi's.

Honored Contributor

I've been at both Aldi and Lidi.  But my supermarket is Wegmans!  They are best.  Each supermaket in the chain is huge!  Tons of food.  I know Wegmans is not everywhere.  The are similar to Publix.  It seems anything I can't find, it's at Wegmans.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Yesterday, I happened to be near the newly opened German-owned Lidl  grocery (prounounced like "needle") so made a long-planned first visit to check it out.

Quite an experience in atmosphere and  low prices, compared with the Aldi, Walmart, Costco, Kroger and Publix stores that I visit regularly.

Found some items incredibly cheap and a great bargain. 

Some were incredibly cheap-looking, some had  great apparent quality and some had readily apparent bad quality, such as  one package of seriously moldy cheese mixed in with fresh packages,  and some ugly produce mixed with good.

If anyone else can comment on their early experiences with Lidl, post in a new thread, if one hasn't already been created for Lidl.

Lidl is opening stores all over the U.S.  The one near us took over space from a failed Fresh Market store, which I never went in  more than once and didn't like.

I made my first visit in years to the local Trader Joe's and wasn't any more impressed than with TJ in the state where I previously lived.  Also don't care for Sprouts.  Not likely to visit either one often or at all.

We've got all those stores not far from my home, plus a new Greenwise store that Publix recently opened to sell all-organic produce and household goods.  Haven't been there yet, so would love to see comments about it.

I think Lidl is starting to get too big, too fast and aren't able to keep up with stock.

It's almost as if they are sending all the stock to the new stores and letting the established stores fall to the wayside.  We go into ours now and it's a hit or miss as to whether or not the grocery shelves will be stocked.  

It took at least a month for them to restock their version of blue Dawn dish detergent.