Honored Contributor

Re: Observations after shopping at Aldi today....

@Kachina624 wrote:

Why does anyone shop at this store?

i am not a fan......and ours is only a few years old.

i like CHOICES when i grocery shop and this store is VERY limited......plus i dont like that they dont have a deli or fresh bakery.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@msgb wrote:

Not every Aldi has the same prices.

There are three Aldis that are in my area. Each has a different price on many of the items that I purchase from them.

@msgb I noticed that too.I have a few Aldi's within 1/2 hr and their prices all vary!

There's also a new Lidl near one of the  Aldi's. Aldi prices competed with them  for a good long time! Lidi now has less 'loss leaders' and Aldi's prices changed. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 I really like certain things from Aldi's: earth grown vegan items, low carb pita's, net carb zero bread. Their own brand hummus is the best! There's  a bunch of other staples too....

Trusted Contributor

@msgb   Correct that Aldi can differ in prices from store to store. My point was that I'm paying double now for the same items a year later and that's a LOT of money no matter how you look at it.

@Kachina624  Because some of us like to save money where and when we can. I think it's financially irresponsible to spend $1.25 on a can of vegi when I can get it for 35 cents and it tastes the same. When shopping for a large family, it means your money can go much farther. Up until recently, Aldi offered the best prices overall for the majority of items I purchase especially compared to Giant, Safeway and Publix (which is over the top expensive IMHO). That's why so many shop there.

@SharkE  Their carts are locked. So unless someone is going around with quarters to unlock them and take them, it's kinda odd. It went from Tuesday having enough carts and then some to Thursday and there's a handful. Just means you have to get there earlier.

I'm going to check out Dollar Tree after seeing a ton of videos on YouTube about making your money stretch when it comes to feeding a large family. There's one on the way to Aldi, so...we'll see. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

I went yesterday for the butter. It was supposed to be $1.79 and advertised

in their circular. Well they had a big sign on the door stating that they never

got any in.

Only shop there around 2 times a month. I don't think that they have

really good deals. They are pretty expensive. 

Honored Contributor

I've never been in an Aldi's.  I think there is one about 20 minutes away from me but the store just doesn't sound appealing.

Instead I shop at my local family owned small chain supermarket (about 5 stores total), Costco for frozen & paper goods, my local farmer's market and occasionally TJ's, Wegman's & Whole Foods...all of which are right next to each other about half an hour away.

Trusted Contributor

I recently purchased a brand new in the box never used KitchenAide Artisan Series Mixer at an auction 3 months ago for less then 100 bucks. Fantastic deal! For the first time in my life I am making my own bread, my own desserts, my own hummus etc.....such a sense of satisfaction and gives me something to do that husband is sure appreciating lol! I think Im saving some money and going to the grocery store less for the items I can now make on my own. I think we have an Aldi here although I have never been there. As far as meat I dont eat much of that and am now growing my own veggies....am becoming quite the semi off grid pioneer woman (as much as am able)  LOL. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was just there this week and didn't notice any shortages.  Prices everywhere have increased.  Some stores have limited the number of shopping carts in order to limit the number of people in the store.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

There are three Aldi's near me.  I go there occasionally if I need something real quick.

Their chocolate candy is good, so I always pick some up.

Their bread products are awful.  I have had to throw regular bread, hot dog rolls and some type of sweet bread out.  No one liked the taste.

Their yogurt is gross.  I once bought a small tray of frozen lasagne for my granddaughter that she begged for...for lunch.  I ended up throwing that away too.

I only buy name brands there now.  They have UTZ chips for $1.99 which is a great deal.  

Their butter is okay as is their Half and Half.

There is a rumor that a Trader's Joe is coming soon.  I would really like to try that store.  A Lidl store is being built near me now...I have never been in either stores.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Strange to me also.  Aldi's is my mom's go to store for her "fruits."

In South Joisey/Jerzzzzzz you pay $0.25 for a shopping cart....

The store has no shopping bags.  Either you bring your own bags or grab cardboard boxes (from the liquor store next store)....

Bag/box your own groceries.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif