Honored Contributor

Observation about "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"

As I work around the house daily, programs run that I wouldn't normally watch, because I just get busy and don't change the channel on the TV.

I've noticed on these Gypsy Wedding shows, there is so much money, time and effort put into these dresses as it is their tradition to do so. 

But what amazes me is that the ceremony at the church, most often has very few people, sometimes just a handful. Their events, like weddings and other parties they have, are about the girl and the dress, and they have an image/standard they strive to achieve, again as part of their culture. 

Living outside said culture, I just find it odd to put so much work, time, money and focus on a huge statement dress, that only a few people are going to see. It seems in my experience, if one is having a smaller or simpler wedding, the dress is usually less extravagant. 

I just always notice how few people are attending most of these weddings that seem more about the dress than anything else. I wonder if that is just a cultural thing or if the shows have been slanted to make it look that way.

Has anyone else noticed this?

QVC Customer Care

Re: Observation about "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"

Honored Contributor

What does it matter if outsiders get it or not?  They get it.

They're not hurting anyone with that custom, I don't think it's right to criticize other cultures.

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen a few of those shows.  I am not sure if the size of the ceremony is the norm or if it is because they seem to spotlight the families that are always fighting.  Many of those episodes go into great length about who did what to who, not liking the bride/groom, marry outside of community etc..  Would think the conflict and drama is for good TV and in real life the wedding is beautiful. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Work, time, money...we Americans have the same idea.

Quinceañeras come to mind...especially here in Texas.

Extravagant puffy neon colored dresses.  So pretty!

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

They're not hurting anyone with that custom, I don't think it's right to criticize other cultures.

Asking questions and making observations of things that one sees on television about a culture that one has little knowledge of is not criticizing.

You constantly look for something to be wrong or someone to berate. I get tired of it,

Honored Contributor

I started watching when they first started with the gypsy shows. Then they were the Irish and English real gypsies. Their heritage went back a long time and they showed their handed down traditions.

TheAmerican ones are a different story. Not sure how accurate the shows are and how real the gypsies are. They certainly don't have the traditions the Irish and English ones do. Except for the dresses of course.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I started watching when they first started with the gypsy shows. Then they were the Irish and English real gypsies. Their heritage went back a long time and they showed their handed down traditions.

TheAmerican ones are a different story. Not sure how accurate the shows are and how real the gypsies are. They certainly don't have the traditions the Irish and English ones do. Except for the dresses of course.

The Roma  from Europe do not  cohabit before marriage. This is a very strict practice. They have lots of rules about  being pure ,and clean ,in all facet's of life. They won't use the  bathroom that is in the  carvans  they live in. They use the accomadations  at the  trailor park. It's  considered unsanitary to have a  toilet,inside

I saw none of tha,t from this bunch. All I saw were people with big ,dirty mouths, fighting with everyone

Respected Contributor

I find the people on that show repugnant.  

I don't know if that's a true representation of that culture - I doubt it

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Asking questions and making observations of things that one sees on television about a culture that one has little knowledge of is not criticizing.

You constantly look for something to be wrong or someone to berate. I get tired of it,

@Mominohio   what she may object to, as do I aslo, is anyone being called "white trash" ............. which American Gypsies were called in this thread..............that isn't just a character judgment on a single person, but a large group and entire culture.........seems pretty harsh to judge an entire culture on just a few examples on some tv show...........raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo