Honored Contributor

I like oatmeal and have used Quaker's 5 minute version for many years although when I'm pushed for time, I substitute mini shredded wheats.  I like them and they satisfy the dietary requirements I need -  one is about twice as much fiber as a bowl of oatmeal.  I add raisins or fresh fruit and 1% milk. Finding the unsweetened can sometimes be difficult and even though I might add a bit of my own sweetening I just don't like any sweet coated cereals -  that includes every version of oatmeal except plain.  I think.

Honored Contributor

High in calories.  389 of them.  But it makes you feel fuller.  So you can skip the the next meal.  So you in a way, you can diet on this.....

I never eat it because of the caloric intake.

Honored Contributor

I love oatmeal.

It has to be the real stuff, not that instant packet krap.

Respected Contributor

I have never warmed to oatmeal (pun intended). I only tolerate it. If I have to eat it, I like steel cut and it has to be loaded with fruit, nuts, cinnamon, and honey. I do love oatmeal raisin cookies, however.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@cuddles wrote:

I eat oatmel five days a week.  I mix it with All-Bran, cinnamon and almonds.  It sure does keep me regular and I'm 79.  Wednesday is pancakes and sausges and Sunday is bacon and eggs.Smiley Happy

=====

Here you go @RetRN 

Honored Contributor

I LOVE oatmeal--could eat it anytime of day with lots of stuff in and on it--dried fruits, nuts, yogurt, a little bit of brown sugar----but have to watch the carbs so only get to enjoy a small amount----sometimes I add whole grains like farro or bulger or others like that too. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Too much trouble.  I make the quick (not instant) oats in the micro with almond milk then slice a. banana on it.

My dad hated oatmeal...called it "the S & S" for slick and slimy.  He was a cream of wheat man or any hot cereal.  Miss him too.

I agree % with your Dad. My Mother would make me sit all morning in my high chair, looking at it because I wouldn't eat it.I'm 86   years old in 2 days, and still have never or will I ever eat it. It's so disgusting looking. 

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

High in calories.  389 of them.  But it makes you feel fuller.  So you can skip the the next meal.  So you in a way, you can diet on this.....

I never eat it because of the caloric intake.

It may make you feel more full at first, but it burns off quickly for me and I am hungry again in a couple of hours.

I eat it sparingly.  I do much better with protein for breakfast.  

Respected Contributor

I make the steel cut oatmeal in my Instant Pot. Set at 10 minutes. No fuss, no muss. I make enough for us to eat for a couple of days and just reheat in the microwave.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I make the 'no-cook overnight oatmeal'. You can google that and see how it's done. You need jars and a fridge...eat it cold.