Respected Contributor

I eat oatmeal every morning - the five minute kind.

I add blueberries, strawberries, half of a banana, and some almonds.  Sometimes, I'll put in chunks of apples while it's cooking, some cinnamon, and add walnuts. 

It keeps me full for a while and it has a lot of fiber.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Yes. I eat oatmeal for breakfast in winter. I also like cream of wheat and grits. I do not eat cold cereal. It is not that I don't like cold cereal but do not eat to avoid the added sugar and calories from milk. I will overeat all day if I eat sugar for breakfast.

What are grits?

@apple1964~

Well, bless your heart! You poor child-

You haven't lived-grits with a tab of butter-thats itSmiley Happy!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I love it but it has too many carbohydrates for me. One bowl and I am ravenous all morning. 

Honored Contributor

too many calories for what you get

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I love it but it has too many carbohydrates for me. One bowl and I am ravenous all morning. 

Me too! Why do they say it keeps you full all morning? I always feel hungry after I eat it. Maybe too many carbs or something?

I like it with butter or milk, not both together and nothing else. But I don't eat it a lot. I like the Quaker instant plain ones that take a minute to make. Not the ones in the bag-those don't taste rightWoman Surprised

My mother eats it too every morning-steel oats or the long cooking ones with nuts and everything else!

I do love grits!! My father had them all the time.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Same here. The only way I like oatmeal is with milk & honey, and those 3 things are waaaaay too many carbs/sugars for me. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Me too! Why do they say it keeps you full all morning? I always feel hungry after I eat it. Maybe too many carbs or something?

I like it with butter or milk, not both together and nothing else. But I don't eat it a lot. I like the Quaker instant plain ones that take a minute to make. Not the ones in the bag-those don't taste rightWoman Surprised

My mother eats it too every morning-steel oats or the long cooking ones with nuts and everything else!

It's dependent upon your ability to process carbohydrates.

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Yes. I eat oatmeal for breakfast in winter. I also like cream of wheat and grits. I do not eat cold cereal. It is not that I don't like cold cereal but do not eat to avoid the added sugar and calories from milk. I will overeat all day if I eat sugar for breakfast.

@Iwantcoffee  I avoid calories from sugar and milk by eating a non-sweetened cereal with unsweetened almond milk (30 calories a cup) and an artificial sweetener.  I prefer the taste of almond milk to dairy.  I most often eat oatmeal (quick oats) with a sliced banana prepared in the micro or in summer, I mix the milk and oats and leave in refrigerator overnight, eating it cold.  I always add a dash of cinnamon. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Oatmeal is the okra of the grain world.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I'm that way with any cereal breakfast. It's like it carves a hole in my gut and it actually hurts, I get that hungry. That is, if I'm not sleeping, because if anything will send me back to bed in an hour or so, it's having some kind of cereal product, including oatmeal, for breakfast.

Every oatmeal person I've ever known was also a morning person. I wonder whether the oatmeal fans here are also early risers by nature.