Esteemed Contributor

Re: Oat Leaf itch mites invade Washington ,DC area

@Porcelain 

Oh, no harm.

I am one of those people who swell with a mosquito bite so I'm highly allergic to such things....making it all the worse.

If there is an insect around that bites, they will find me Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I have not experiemced  these Oat Leaf mites. I have had nothing biting me , however I have not been out in the woods  under a cover of trees. I do not have any pets, although I am an animal lover .

. I do know of people having horrid outbreaks  frim Chiggers who like to bite at the wrist , back of the legs and waist line. They cause raised welts . Usually there are several in a line with severe itching  because the mites burrow under the skin.  As a youngster I did hear of people using turpentine on the welts & nail polish.  Yes, and alot of Benadryl tablets & cream.

Super Contributor

We live in the DC area, and my husband and many of our neighbors have suffered from oak mite itch this summer. We had thousands of cicadas in late May and June, so it's not surprising that we have the mites that feed off their larvae here now. I don't spend much time in the yard during the hot summer, so I have been spared! 

Honored Contributor

OMGosh,  YUCK!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Oh for heaven's sake, what's next...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

Re Oat Leaf itch mites invade Washington ,DC area

Fortunately I haven't been bitten but this is real!  Here's a post from Fairfax County government that was posted today.  "

FYI - Oak Leaf Itch Mite.

We have recently received reports of bug bites of unknown origin. It appears the cause is the microscopic Oak Leaf Itch Mite. This mite has been associated with itchy bites in other regions of the US. It’s presence this year is likely due to the cicada emergence from earlier this year—the mites are feeding on the cicada eggs that have been laid in trees - especially oak trees. In places where this mite has been reported as a nuisance, it’s often seen during the summer and into the fall. Unfortunately, the mites are microscopic and cannot be seen by the naked eye. By taking the following steps to prevent mosquito and tick bites when spending time outdoors, you will also be able to prevent bites of other things like the Oak Leaf Itch Mite: 1. Use repellent to prevent bites (be sure to read and follow label instructions when applying repellents): EPA- registered, CDC-recommended active ingredients in repellents are DEET, picaridin, IR3535, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus (OLE), Para-Menthane-Diol (PMD), or 2-undecanone. 2. Dress to minimize exposure: Consider wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts when spending time outdoors. 3. Shower after outdoor activities (wash away crawling ticks and do a tick check) 4. Launder clothes worn for outdoor activities (ten minutes in the dryer on high heat will kill ticks on clothing) If you have a bite. Use calamine lotions and other itch creams to reduce the itching - that at times can be intense. Scratching of the bite locations is discouraged as it can result in secondary bacterial infections. A cold compress or products available to relieve the itchiness may help—talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have questions about these products. If you are concerned about how you are reacting to potential bug bites, think you may have a skin infection, or have any other medical questions or concerns, please consult your healthcare provider. The good news is that these are expected to go away in the fall and not return next year.

Esteemed Contributor

And we thought it was chiggers.  Regardless, it is very itchy scratchy.  Oh well.   Doesn't stop me from getting outdoors.  I'll just be glad for cooler weather and some rain (we did get some yesterday thank goodness).

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb 

I feel the same way!

If there is an insect within a 50 mile radious, they will find me. 

A week before my trip to Urgent Care, I was watering my tomatoes and got stung on the foot by a Yellow Jacket.  It was swollen, painful and itchy for 2 weeks!  There is still a large, dark area where I was stung.

I'm ready for winter!