Esteemed Contributor

Oat Leaf itch mites invade Washington ,DC area

Now that the Brood X  cicadas are gone  a new bug has moved in that is a microscopic blood sucking  mite  that burrow under people's skin  causing painful itching  and  welts .

Any homemade remedies for these type of mite bites ?

Years ago, I heard of old time remedies  of finger nail polish on the welt  or turpentine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/08/03/pyemotes-oak-tree-itch-mites-cicada-washington...

Honored Contributor

Re: Oat Leaf itch mites invade Washington ,DC area

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 wrote:

Now that the Brood X  cicadas are gone  a new bug has moved in that is a microscopic blood sucking  mite  that burrow under people's skin  causing painful itching  and  welts .

Any homemade remedies for these type of mite bites ?

Years ago, I heard of old time remedies  of finger nail polish on the welt  or turpentine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/08/03/pyemotes-oak-tree-itch-mites-cicada-washington...

@skatting44 

Here in the deep South, we have redbugs and chiggers, which are similar creatures that burrow under the skin and itch like crazy!

Our tried and true remedy is the clear fingernail polish, it suffocates them, but it's tedious to paint each individual welt, LOL!

There are probably other tried and trues remedies, but that's only one we ever used.

Also take some Benadryl and calamine lotion helps too.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Like it or not, there are biting mites in the trees | Local Sports |  paducahsun.com

Well, that's unpleasant.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skatting44 

A few weeks back I believe I may have had this condition.  Within a few days, I was at my urgent care center and had to have two medications to resolve the welts and itching.

I say "may" have had this because the doctor I saw could not diagnose the problem.  After reading about these mites, and not being able to identify any other possible issues, I figured there was a good chance it was them.

All I can say is the area covered was much too broad, and too sensitive to treat with nail polish or anything else.  The first couple of days, I tried all the standard itch remedies and just kept getting worse.  My entire torso, back and arms back were inflamed and nothing eased the itching.

The only thing is we did not have an outbreak of cicadas in Southern Maryland, so I cannot imagine how they found me.

I would recommend if anyone suspects they have such a thing, get to the doctor fast and skip the home treatments!

Esteemed Contributor

OMG! 😲😲😲😲😲😲😲

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe you just have fleas? Do you have pets?

Extreme Magnification - Flea At Microscope, 50x Magnification Stock Image -  Image of clinical, macro: 143419669

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

It's real in the DMV (DC - Maryland - VA area).  It's gross to mention but these oak mites are munching on the cicada eggs left by that recent infestation.  This area is cursed.

Oak-mite bites may be cicadas’ latest gift to D.C. region - The Washington Post

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain 

No pets.  

I've had flea bites and I can tell you this was a lot worse than a few bumps.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Porcelain 

No pets.  

I've had flea bites and I can tell you this was a lot worse than a few bumps.

I'm sorry @Witchy Woman! I was asking @skatting44, not you. Your description sounds awful, and well beyond a flea bite. I felt my neck get itchy just reading it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

You could try apple cider vinegar.  Just a guess.  Buy an anti-itch cream but also contact your doctor.

kindness is strength