Honored Contributor

I just looked at a bottle of eye drops that expired in August 2019, I tossed them not sure I needed to.

I am less fussy about I rub my body althought I did toss a vicks vapo rub that expired 5 years ago on, it it goes, but I am very careful what I ingest .

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: OTC meds expiration dates

You did the right thing especially if the eyedrops were opened at any point because of sterility.  

Expiration dates are the FDA dates that are  known tested for the efficacy listed on the box or bottle.  After that date, the potency is not guaranteed.

Refrigerated or items like eye drops which have a sterility issue once opened should always be tossed after the date if not right after you complete the treatment protocol they were prescribed for.

Regular Contributor

I think you did the right thing. If any thing like that is more than two months past due I toss it.

Respected Contributor

Anything for the eye, I'm more concerned about expiration dates. For all others, I continue to use them without issues.

Respected Contributor

Anything liquid past expiration date gets tossed.  I keep OTC pills, such as aspirin.  They may lose just a bit of potency, but will still work for years.  My doctor verified this.

Honored Contributor

Oral medication only loses it strength after the expiration date.  It will not harm you.  But I toss it.  Anything ocular I would not use after the expiration date.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Immodium loses its potency fast after the exp date.  Found that out the hard way!

Esteemed Contributor

Well, this made me go look.  All good here.  This is tough to keep on top of.

Honored Contributor

You did the right thing, if something is long past the expiration date, toss it out.  A doctor told me that expiration dates aren't about something harming us, it's about effectiveness.  Drugs lose their effectiveness over time.

Honored Contributor

I'd definitely throw out eye drops just as you would mascara and other eye products. The tip can easily be contaminated. 
Hopefully you saw all these replies.