Respected Contributor

Re: OT High School Graduation gift amount?

@marchingalong123 wrote:

I find it in very poor taste when a relative or other, sends out high school announcements when U haven't seen or heard from them in 10, 20, years. The high school grad doesn't even know me nor could they identify me. It irks me. 

Send or give what U feel is right. Or not. My experience with these 'type' of people, don't expect a thank U note.

I HATE this, I can not tell you how much. And yes, no thank you note because they don';t even know you.

Honored Contributor

I think that $50.00 dollar gift is wonderful.  

my grand daughter is graduating from high school next month.

we are giving her something she needs for her computer for college. I believe we paid $70.00 for it. 

We give what we can afford. Family or not,we give what our paycheck allows. 

So that $70.00 gift is all we will give to her at this time.

Trusted Contributor

And a big hug goes to @tedEbear, after all that is what you are suppose to do with a 'tedEbear' Heart

Trusted Contributor

@mzlg--Thank You for the LOVE. 

Reading back this thread, I got to thinking " What if you are invited to Bosses weddings, their kids graduation parties, best friends 2nd wedding, their kids wedding, graduations" ALL IN 1 MONTH, all party time,dinners,etc. How will you pay for all of them?

Some people send graduation announcements JUST to let family and friends know, no other reason!  Just sayin' that is the way my family and friends roll.--------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

@loveschocolate According to my husband's family the canceled check is their form of saying "Thank You" for the gift, YEP you read that right!

We celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary on the 9th of this month, there are several family members I have not seen since 1980, and up until I refused to stop sending gifts to people who only contacted us (not invited us) was when there was a gift involved, and then never bothered to "Thank Us", now I am known as being the "B" word!

But there is peace in our household, and once I stopped sending gifts we never heard from them again, and it does not seem to bother them one bit, so my husband and I are richer in more than once sense of the word!

Valued Contributor

Since we just went through this, I'll share what my graduate received. We hired a local restaurant and had the meal catered. We also rented a large gazebo at our local park, which I highly recommend. It was a beautiful setting with pond and fountain on one side and lush green rolling hills on other side of gazebo. I never expected guests to cover their meals but I think it's a nice gesture. We invited 75 people and 68 showed up. 

close family gave between $50-$100. Neighbors gave $40. Extended family (older aunts and uncles) gave $25-$50. A few of our friends who watched our child grow up gave $25-$50. Our graduate's friends gave $20.  A couple big gifts from our wealthy friends and aunt of $200. Our child received a total of $2,400. 

We didn't go through our address book and invite everyone we know. We only invited those who are a part of our lives. I think it's tacky when we receive an announcement for someone we haven't talked to in years. It's just fishing for a gift. 

Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I think your "gift" should cover both your meals, and the graduation gift...thinking at least $100...

I have never heard of the "cover your meals" until I started posting here, way back when.

Crazy talk. (not you, just the idea)

This was back in 70's, but my dad would always say you've got to at least cover your dinner(s) plus the gift...just how we rolled, and I do the sameSmiley Happy

@AKgirl2- that was always "the rule of thumb" in my neck of the woods, N NJ.  I am sure not everyone did and most gave what they felt or could.  It's not like you were called out for giving less.  It was just a guideline to help people decide the amount to give not a rule...more a custom among some

Valued Contributor

@CareBears I am the same way. I don't do obligation gifts. If we don't have a relationship, I am not sending a gift. Like you, I was tired of bad manners. A simple thank note is all I expect. I've even said a text or email will work, something to acknowledge they received gift. Cancelled check is not okay. 

Even though our graduate grumbled, a handwritten thank you note was sent to every guest who attended party. 

Respected Contributor

Having recent college graduate we struggled with being proud,going over top, or not recognizing for fear of seeming asking for gifts. Didn't do Facebook thing because of privacy concerns. We decided to send announcements to cousins with an included printed note indicating we were sharing news but that gifts were not expected. Several sent cards with personal notes which were much appreciated and DD sent message of thanks via messaging (note: this for card no gift) Some closer relatives chose to send gift card or checks. Amounts varied and that is understandable. Personally I feel a card recognition or some type of message is appropriate.