Respected Contributor

Re: OT High School Graduation gift amount?

@panda1234 wrote:

@walkingal wrote:

$50 sounds good to me.  My niece just graduated from high school.  I wasn't invited to her graduation, but she sent me an announcement.  I mailed her a check for $50.  I thought that was sufficient under the circumstances -- I never hear from her parents and rarely from her.  Ultimately, you should give whatever is best for you.                                                  

Hardly see them, only an announcement but not invited to the graduation....they were only looking for a gift. That announcement would have gone in the trash, shame on them.   

Bet there is no thank you note either.

Respected Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I think your "gift" should cover both your meals, and the graduation gift...thinking at least $100...

I have never heard of the "cover your meals" until I started posting here, way back when.

Crazy talk. (not you, just the idea)

This was back in 70's, but my dad would always say you've got to at least cover your dinner(s) plus the gift...just how we rolled, and I do the sameSmiley Happy

I'm in mid 60's and I've never heard of that either.  If the people hosting the party can't afford to cover the cost of the party then they should change their plans.  In my book, guests are in no way obligated to pay for their attendance at a family (or other) get together.  

I decided to chime in here.  I agree 100%.  I've never heard of that for a graduation gift.  Plus, the money goes to the grad and not to parents so it doesn't help cover the cost anyway.  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes money is not a gift to give. A gift card to a Barnes & Noble or Bed Bath & Beyond if the graduate is heading on to higher education might be a nice option or a small basket of dorm goodies or bath items is another different option. You can get creative if you want.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

I've heard of the "cover your meals" for a long time (at least 20 years).  A neighbor was just telling me about her daughter's wedding and that "as long as long as people cover their meals" she'd be happy.  I think the thought is, you pay for what you eat, your gift is "on top of that."  So I've tried to do that every time.

Honored Contributor

This thread is a year old and is about high school graduations, not weddings. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I think now a days people try to show off that they have means by excessively tipping and gifting . Give what you feel comfortable giving. BTW - I too never heard anyone say the gift had to cover the cost of your meal until I came to this board.If a host can't afford to feed their guests they should probably not have a party.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I think your "gift" should cover both your meals, and the graduation gift...thinking at least $100...

No offense to you at all @AKgirl2, as I love your posts, but this 'rule of thumb' comes up about weddings as well, and I find it simply ridiculous.

Just because people choose to have a great big shindig (and I have nothing against great big shindigs!) the guests should not have to gift to cover the cost of it all. Covering the cost of an event is absolutely not the responsibility of the guest, but the one holding the event. If you can't afford it, scale it back.

A gift should be three things. What you can afford, what you want to give, and sometimes what is  appropriate to the closeness of your relationship with the recipient (for example, gifting a grandchild more money for graduation than a coworkers daughter). 

I will never consider someones overblown wedding or graduation party and the fact that I should 'cover' the costs THEY chose to spend on the event. 

But I will consider those three things I listed. 

Frequent Contributor

I find it in very poor taste when a relative or other, sends out high school announcements when U haven't seen or heard from them in 10, 20, years. The high school grad doesn't even know me nor could they identify me. It irks me. 

Send or give what U feel is right. Or not. My experience with these 'type' of people, don't expect a thank U note.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

$50 sounds good.  I'm not sure how "fancy" the party will be but with a catered meal and with two of us going, I'd probably give $100.

Why should the guests factor in the fact that there will be a catered meal. That's the choice of the person throwing the party -- the guests shouldn't be expected to cover that cost for the host. 

To the OP -- I would give whatever amount you're comfortable with. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

No offense to you at all @AKgirl2, as I love your posts, but this 'rule of thumb' comes up about weddings as well, and I find it simply ridiculous.

Just because people choose to have a great big shindig (and I have nothing against great big shindigs!) the guests should not have to gift to cover the cost of it all. Covering the cost of an event is absolutely not the responsibility of the guest, but the one holding the event. If you can't afford it, scale it back.

A gift should be three things. What you can afford, what you want to give, and sometimes what is  appropriate to the closeness of your relationship with the recipient (for example, gifting a grandchild more money for graduation than a coworkers daughter). 

I will never consider someones overblown wedding or graduation party and the fact that I should 'cover' the costs THEY chose to spend on the event. 

But I will consider those three things I listed. 

No offense taken @Mominohio, in the end, it's a matter of what one is comfortable doing. ☺️