Honored Contributor

Re: OT High School Graduation gift amount?

@missy1 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I think your "gift" should cover both your meals, and the graduation gift...thinking at least $100...

I have never heard of the "cover your meals" until I started posting here, way back when.

Crazy talk. (not you, just the idea)

@missy1- I'd never heard of that either until I started posting here.  Silly me..... for wedding gifts, I always buy something from the registry.  I thought that's what it was for!  I would never sit and ponder and try to figure out how much someone spent for my meal at ANY function.  It's their party and they've invited me and they should pay.  I shouldn't have to "pay them back" with my gift.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

$50 is fine.  Nobody told them they had to spend a fortune on the affair.  It's something they chose to do and you shouldn't have to help them pay for it.

@K9buddy- YES!!!  I totally agree.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Check the interest rates on US GOV SAVINGS BONDS.

If the interest is higher than prevailing bank interest, you will be investing in the student's future, and giving a gift that implies the promise of good fortune in te student's future.

Contributor

We are only invited to special events for those we are close with. To me the venue does not dictate the amount of the gift, as it is the host/parent, etc of the event that personally selects the amount they want to spend on the occasion. Generally we give $30 for communions, confirmations, 8th grade graduation; $50 for high school graduation; $100 for college graduation and $200 as a couple for weddings. For our immediate family members like our niece for example, we may give a bit more. We have NEVER invited people to event we are hosting with the intent to collect on their gift. The idea of covering your plate is just silly to me. As an invited guest I am there to celebrate an occassion not pay for it.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

My late husband and I (and now my adult daughters) have always given gifts and money to everyone and everything that happens in our family.

We have never received a thank you note over the years from anyone.  

Don't people send thank you notes anymore?  Is it just my pain in the neck extended family that doesn't know how to write or buy a stamp?

@Annabellethecat66, I know the feeling. Graduation gifts, baby shower gifts, wedding gifts.....not one single thank you card. I am at the point where I am not going to buy gifts anymore. I don't expect a long, handwritten thank you card, but at least "acknowledge" that a gift was received and appreciated. 

Trusted Contributor

I need to start a thread for the "cheap, poor" members of this thread.   I ,couldn't give the kind of money you all are talking about.

It reminds of a time when someone said "you should ALWAYS give an expensive gift AND ALWAYS send a ThankYou card.  They could leave you something in their will".    I'm sorry,  I am a cheap arse and I figure I am invited somewhere, because I AM WANTED, not for my non money, or my crappy cheap gift. I give from the heart what I can, when I'm able.--This is simply my own personal opinion

And I want you all to know, I really do love and enjoy these threads and posters!!!!

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear, we give what we can afford. I certainly don't give based on what others think we should give. Also, we don't give based on how big the party/reception is. 

Honored Contributor

Awwwww....@Ted....I love you too!  You always have interesting and thoughtful posts....

I never expect a long note, just a simple 'thanks'.  I figure if I take the time to give something (be it money or gift) the person can even make a card, put the stamp on it and mail it.  It's about taking the time to do it.

I realize cards are expensive these days but you can get a card for 99 cents at the party shop stores.  My late husband used to go to the party shop and buy all of these 99 cent cards  and give me and the 3 daughters cards for everything.  He could have afforded higher priced cards, but he thought they were over-priced.  

I knew someone (still see her sometimes) who used to work for a card company designing cards.  Artists are wonderful friends to have, I think.  They have a 'different' way of looking at the world.  I've always found it fascinating.  OK, I'm drifting off subject, yet again!

It just seems like the people who expect more, more from relatives and friends are the same one's who never write a thank you note.

My great-niece just got married.  My husband and I have always been known for giving nice gifts.  I've always given money (mostly) to family members for everything.  After my husband died I decided I got tired of sending out birthday cards, etc to people I never hear from or see.  I felt like I was a 'cash cow' to them.

I will eventually send my niece and her now husband a gift card (they have been living together and have two children) or some money, but after I talk to my brother and find out which would be the best to send.

I didn't attend (nor did my daughters and family) their wedding as it was too far.

I find it frustrating when all during the year you never hear from any of these people AT ALL, then they (through another family member) keep saying, "You are coming, aren't you"?  I can't decide if I'm being stupid about it or not?

I'm interested in what other's think about this.  Should it bother me if I send a birthday card, etc during the year, yet I never hear from them at all?  Perhaps I'm being petty about this?  What say you guys?

Maybe this is the wrong place to put it?  Can you tell I'm confused?  Ha!

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I think your "gift" should cover both your meals, and the graduation gift...thinking at least $100...

I have never heard of the "cover your meals" until I started posting here, way back when.

Crazy talk. (not you, just the idea)

@missy1- I'd never heard of that either until I started posting here.  Silly me..... for wedding gifts, I always buy something from the registry.  I thought that's what it was for!  I would never sit and ponder and try to figure out how much someone spent for my meal at ANY function.  It's their party and they've invited me and they should pay.  I shouldn't have to "pay them back" with my gift.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I completely agree. 

Respected Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

$50 sounds good to me.  My niece just graduated from high school.  I wasn't invited to her graduation, but she sent me an announcement.  I mailed her a check for $50.  I thought that was sufficient under the circumstances -- I never hear from her parents and rarely from her.  Ultimately, you should give whatever is best for you.                                                  

Hardly see them, only an announcement but not invited to the graduation....they were only looking for a gift. That announcement would have gone in the trash, shame on them.