Honored Contributor

ORTHOTIC FROM A PODIATRIST FOR OVER PRONATION

Hi everyone-

my over pronation is getting worse-it's hard to walk bare foot in the house, which I love doing-I've been wearing my spenco sandals-what a life saver they are.

The spenco orthotic I bought is no longer helping as much.....................

When you get a custom orthotic can you put it into most sneakers etc...to make them wearable?

I'm not sure what to expect...........

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: ORTHOTIC FROM A PODIATRIST FOR OVER PRONATION

I have custom orthotics & I can wear them in pretty much every shoe or sneaker that I have that has a removable insert.  On some of my footwear that doesn't have a removable insert, they do fit but the fit goes from snug to tight or not really wearable at all.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

thank you-I hope he can help me.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

I have been weaing custom orthotics for over a year and they have helped a lot.  However, they have severely limited the types of shoes I can wear.  To be honest, I can hardly wear any of the shoes I have.  If I go up in size, then the shoes are too big.  And some shoes becuase of the orthotics, lift the foot up too much and cause the show to flop and not fit right.  It has not been a fun experience.  

Recently, I have begun having more serious issues and am now wearing a brace, plus orthotics.  Try findings shoes to work with all of this --- it's even worse!!

The doctor told me --- oh, this should fit in any shoe!  HA!  I really let him have it.  They want you to wear all this stuff but they give you now guidance on footwear which I think is extremely important.  I get so frustrated.  First, it was because I could not wear any of my nice and pretty shoes.  Now I am frustrating beause I cannot find shoes that are comfortable and accommodate both the orthotic and brace.

I would say if you get orthotics, you will probably do best with a sneaker of some type.

Best wishes!  It's definitely not fun.

And yes, I understand completely.  I can no longer walk barefooted either or wear sandals.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

angelpuppy-thanks for the info-sounds pretty grim..........do you have a collapsed arch? I think that's what leads to over pronation........again-thank you.

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Esteemed Contributor

I had my custom orthotics madein the 1980's. I've had them "updated" twice during those years. I am still wearing the same pair and they work well.

I can't address womans shoes for orthotic fitting in them. Most better made athletic type shoes have a removable insole and I have never found this type of shoe that would not accomodate my orthotics.

Over pronation or over suppination can lead to much more serious problems than sore feet. Anyone that knows they have either of these problems would be wise to "never go barefoot".

I could list the myriad of serious, very painful problems, but I will spare you. I will only say that uneven footplant works its way up the joints and spine and you can take it from there.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

thank you john-my appointment is for tuesday-will report back............the orthotic is $450 and not covered by insurance unless you have diabetes-

Why would something like this not be covered?????

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Esteemed Contributor

catlover,

I was fortunate in that mine were covered by insurance. Why they are not covered beats me. For many they can reduce possible knee/hip and the whole spinal column major problems. 

Many studies have shown major joint and spinal issues that can be caused by an imbalance of one's feet. Podiatrists are doctors that can and do perform surgeries and write prescriptions, thus if they say orthotics are a medical necessity, insurance should cover the cost. If an Orthopod says you need a custom knee brace, most insurers cover that cost. To me I see no difference.

There are many material options now in custom orthotics. When mine were made the hard surface ones were the only type available that were considered as being permanent. They also were made more durable for those like myself that participated in high-impact exercises such as running.

Let me know how things go from your visit, either here or on the Wellness Forum.

Stay well,

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

John-I'm not following-why would anyone get an orthotic if it wasn't a medical necessity?

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Any insurance I have ever had through an employer has always covered doctor-ordered custom orthotics, or has covered the greater portion of it.  They would not cover it, however, if a doctor's referral was not part of the equation, if the podiatrist was out of network, or if all podiatric charges are not covered. If podiatric charges are not covered, then I would ask my orthopedist to do the casting/make the request to the insurance company.  But if anyone just decides to ask for orthotics without referrals, the orthotic maker will be happy to take your money, insurance or not.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all