Honored Contributor

ON JUNE 6 THE FRENCH HONOR AMERICAN SACRIFICE AT D-DAY

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 7.58.22 AM.png

On June 6, the anniversary of D-Day,  French soldiers and civilians take sand from Omaha Beach at Normandy that Americans courageously stormed, and they rub it into head stones of the fallen at the American cemetery.    All 9, 388 headstones are highlighted in this way, making the fading names of the soldiers instantly easier to read.

A beautiful, poignant tradition.   A reminder that around the world, there are still places where monumental American contributions, and ultimate sacrifice, are remembered and cherished.

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 7.59.34 AM.png 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ON JUNE 6 THE FRENCH HONOR AMERICAN SACRIFICE AT D-DAY

[ Edited ]

@Oznell - You are right - such a beautiful, touching tradition.  I had never heard about this before.  It is heartwarming and well deserved that the French people still honor these brave men.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister ,   apparently they started doing it in the Fifties.  Hope that all generations pay attention to D-Day and what it meant and means.  Am always surprised that it is not really much emphasized in corporate media on anniversaries.

Trusted Contributor

What a wonderful tribute to our brave soldiers on that day! To those that lost their lives may they rest in peace, knowing they are not forgotten, nor their sacrifice undiminished. To those brave men and women who are still with us on this day, thank you for all you did to defend our country. May God bless America, now, more than ever! 

Honored Contributor

It is a tribute to the French people who honor those soldiers who sacrificed their lives to bring freedom to France .  What a touching tradition that has been ongoing for decades by people who do not forget.  Highlighting the names of the fallen soldiers reminds us of the sacrifice they made for freedom.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Rangers looked up and saw the enemy soldiers -- the edge of the cliffs shooting down at them with machine guns and throwing grenades. And the American Rangers began to climb. They shot rope ladders over the face of these cliffs and began to pull themselves up. When one Ranger fell, another would take his place. When one rope was cut, a Ranger would grab another and begin his climb again. They climbed, shot back, and held their footing. Soon, one by one, the Rangers pulled themselves over the top, and in seizing the firm land at the top of these cliffs, they began to seize back the continent of Europe...

Behind me is a memorial that symbolizes the Ranger daggers that were thrust into the top of these cliffs. And before me are the men who put them there.

These are the boys of Pointe du Hoc. These are the men who took the cliffs. These are the champions who helped free a continent. These are the heroes who helped end a war.

-- President Reagan in Normandy, June 6, 1984

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you for an important reminder - I actually teared up reading.

🇺🇸 🇲🇫 ❤️

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

We once had a friend that was there and participated in the invasion.

He was the most unassuming man.  I could never imagine him in the military, let alone taking part in that particular action.  He never spoke of it; his wife had told me.  

I once asked my husband if this quiet man had ever talked with him about it, and all my husband would say was "Yes".  

He's been gone for a quite a while now, but when this day rolls around I often think of him and all the other "average Joes" that accomplished that astounding feat. 🇱🇷

Respected Contributor

Oh golly, what a heart-tugger! Thank you for posting, @Oznell . It's amazing to me that we, as Americans, commemorate less important dates, Valentines Day, Cinco de Mayo, St Patricks Day, etc., etc., so much more than others. Asking a much younger person if they know what D-Day is and you get the blank stare. Guess one had to be there.

Trusted Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

Oh golly, what a heart-tugger! Thank you for posting, @Oznell . It's amazing to me that we, as Americans, commemorate less important dates, Valentines Day, Cinco de Mayo, St Patricks Day, etc., etc., so much more than others. Asking a much younger person if they know what D-Day is and you get the blank stare. Guess one had to be there.

Memorial Day is an American holiday to honor the fallen. It happens in May. Every year. It's a pretty big deal.