Valued Contributor

Re: ON JUNE 6 THE FRENCH HONOR AMERICAN SACRIFICE AT D-DAY

We must teach, remind and teach again so we do not forget this important day! Thank you @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

We once had a friend that was there and participated in the invasion.

He was the most unassuming man.  I could never imagine him in the military, let alone taking part in that particular action.  He never spoke of it; his wife had told me.  

I once asked my husband if this quiet man had ever talked with him about it, and all my husband would say was "Yes".  

He's been gone for a quite a while now, but when this day rolls around I often think of him and all the other "average Joes" that accomplished that astounding feat. 🇱🇷

@geezerette 

And I imagine that's how these men thought of themselves, yet they were anything but average.

A different time, a different generation.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lakelife62 .................The American citizen is not the one that promotes less important dates, it the American businesses because they make money on those dates.

There is no money to be made on honoring the important dates for this country.  Sad but true.

The almighty dollar speaks loudly!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Im glad they do honor all the fallen on D Day.  Europe owes them all a debt of gratitude since they saved their bacon!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Lakelife62 .................The American citizen is not the one that promotes less important dates, it the American businesses because they make money on those dates.

There is no money to be made on honoring the important dates for this country.  Sad but true.

The almighty dollar speaks loudly!

Agree. But losts of money made on important dates- like memorial day.  Flowers, flags, BBQ, balloons, patriotic clothing, etc. etc. There isn't a thing business doesnt use to make money. Which is what they exist to do. We are a capitalist society after all,.

Honored Contributor

Veterans flew on a special Delta charter flight with personal caretakers. The entire trip is free, funded every year by the Best Defense Foundation. There was a special procession through the airport with Delta employees participating.
Respected Contributor

My uncle was in the D Day invasion. Recieved 4 Purple Hearts, silver star-- He never mentioned it. I didn't know until he died and his papers were needed.

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Veterans flew on a special Delta charter flight with personal caretakers. The entire trip is free, funded every year by the Best Defense Foundation. There was a special procession through the airport with Delta employees participating.

@bikerbabe - There was a story about this on the Today show this morning. They showed one veteran who fought at Normandy with his childhood friend, but he was killed.  This was the first time this 99 year old vet had been back to Normandy and he started to cry when he saw his friend's tombstone.  He told his friend "we won"and felt that the chirping birds he heard was his friend acknowledging him.  Made me cry.

It's wonderful what that foundation does every year, but sadly in a year or two, there will be no veterans left to take back to Normandy.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing about your friend, @geezerette ,  and your uncle,  @IMW .   The stories of these men, the survivors and not, are so important.

@just bee ,  that famous "Pointe du Hoc" speech by President Reagan, delivered right there, is rightly judged one of the most moving ever of presidential tributes-- thanks for quoting!

@Carolina925 ,  your thoughtful points are so well taken.

Chris Plante, whose WMAL Washington D.C. radio show I get on satellite radio, does justice to the occasion.  He's been to Normandy several times, and he says even the teenagers there know about it, and they wave little American, Canadian and British flags, in honor of our countries' valor in the invasion.  So they've been taught!   I find that so touching.

Chris is going to play an interview tomorrow, that was done with his serviceman father one day after D-Day.  I think he called it "D-Day Plus One".   He'll post it online too.  Imagine having the words of your father on audio, after a cataclysm like that!

Chris Plante's Dad,  Jules Orteig.   What they've been through!

941500_10151715267308653_1874268814_n.jpg

(Chris has a different last name from his father-- his stepfather was legendary CBS news correspondent, Bill Plante.)  

Respected Contributor

I visited the Normandy beaches on D-Day years ago.  Standing there imagining what those soldiers went through was something I will never forget.  The museums along the landing beaches have films and things on display that will stay with me forever.  They had the actual letters from young soldiers who never got to return home, among many other items.  We got to meet some soldiers who fought there. I'm sure they're long gone now but I will treasure those memories forever.