Frequent Contributor

I will never go on another cruise between the sicknesses and now this!

A cruise worker angry over an alleged slight by a passenger says he took revenge by attacking and raping the woman and attempting to throw her overboard, authorities say. Ketut Pujayasa, 28, confessed to the Valentine's Day crime aboard Holland America's MS Nieuw Amsterdam, which left Fort Lauderdale on Feb. 9 for the Caribbean. Pujayasa says he delivered breakfast to the victim's room Thursday, but had to knock three times before she answered—and he claims he heard her say, "Wait a minute, son of a b----!" Late that night, the 31-year-old woman says she was attacked in her room, raped, beaten, and strangled, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports.

Pujayasa says he used his master key to enter her room, where he fell asleep on the balcony waiting for her to return. He admitted to hitting her with items including a laptop and a curling iron and choking her with cords from the curling iron and the phone. He tried to push her overboard, but ultimately left because someone was repeatedly knocking on her door, he says. He then says he jumped from balcony to balcony, half-naked, broke into another room, and fled to his cabin, where he told his roommate to call security to report that he had killed someone. The woman was airlifted to a Florida hospital, and Pujayasa was arrested on charges of attempted murder and aggravated sexual abuse.

Valued Contributor

wow.

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me? But if I am only for myself, who am I? If not now, when?" Hillel
Frequent Contributor

You might as well lock yourself in your own home and not let anyone in for the rest of your life if you are willing to live in fear of something like this happening again.

You have a point there

Super Contributor

Where did my reply go? Wild Cherry, you quoted part of it, but the rest is missing.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Esteemed Contributor

My friends just got back from a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean & fly in this morning home. They had a wonderful time. I agree about the chance of this happening again.

Respected Contributor

OMG! That's the ship dh and I were on over 25 years ago when we took our cruise.

So, wonder what country will be responsible for a trial for this guy?

Esteemed Contributor

Moral of the story...be nice!

Seriously, the guy went over the edge. I'm glad she didn't die and that he'll be held responsible for his actions.

Surprised, for some reason, it was Holland America. With all the Carnival troubles lately, I'd be less surprised if it had happened there.

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

I also have never had any problems on a Holland American cruise. It is my favorite line. Have never been on the MS Nieuw Amsterdam as it is one of their newest ships and is larger than what I like. Funny that they consider it a ""mid-size"" ship. With almost 3000 passengers and close to 1000 crew.

I have always found the crew members to be exceptionally pleasant.