Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde - I'm with you - love your response and I totally agree.  I too have no problem with how he handled the situation.

Esteemed Contributor
21 medals!

Not shabby!
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

I have the utmost respect for his swimming ability and the hard work it involves.

I found it troubling that he was shaking his fist at his opponent after he came in first.

Poor sportsmanship.  It was also troubling that he was laughing at something going on in   

the arena during the playing of the National Anthem. 

its a "baltimore thing." when the national anthem is played at sporting events here, there are many that sing out the "O" quite loudly (in honor of the orioles.) michael had a lot of baltimore friends and family at the meet and they said "Ooooooo" during the national anthem, which caused him to smile/laugh.

@sunshine45  Thank you for that explanation.  I did not know that about Baltimore.

I appreciate your taking the time to explain.

Honored Contributor

Michael seems a bit full of himself. He probably has the right to be. My jury is still out on the bit of 'rubbing it in' he engaged in with the much younger swimmer, but I had no problem with his behavior during the awards ceremony. He was clealry very emotional. Something or someone broke that tension and he laughed. So what... I personally think some folks take things to a whole other level that just isn't warranted.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Michael seems a bit full of himself. He probably has the right to be. My jury is still out on the bit of 'rubbing it in' he engaged in with the much younger swimmer, but I had no problem with his behavior during the awards ceremony. He was clealry very emotional. Something or someone broke that tension and he laughed. So what... I personally think some folks take things to a whole other level that just isn't warranted.

It appears more that the media is making his personal business is out there.

As usual he always went to his Mom first.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

I have the utmost respect for his swimming ability and the hard work it involves.

I found it troubling that he was shaking his fist at his opponent after he came in first.

Poor sportsmanship.  It was also troubling that he was laughing at something going on in   

the arena during the playing of the National Anthem. 

its a "baltimore thing." when the national anthem is played at sporting events here, there are many that sing out the "O" quite loudly (in honor of the orioles.) michael had a lot of baltimore friends and family at the meet and they said "Ooooooo" during the national anthem, which caused him to smile/laugh.

Exactly what you said @sunshine45!  Go Michael and team USA!

Honored Contributor

Congratulations, Michael Phelps!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I have not always been a huge fan, but he's been showing that he's a different Michael Phelps than the one I didn't like.

Le Clos' behavior has been completely asinine, no ifs, ands or buts.  Michael held it together like a gentleman earlier today.

After he won? Yeah, just like Lily King and the bragging Russian doper chick, you dish it out, you should be prepared to have it in your teeth when you lose. Good for Michael - he let Le Clos have it back, just long enough, and then he let it go. I have no problem at all with his reactions.

I'm with you on that!  Go Michael, Katy and teams USA!

Honored Contributor

I would have preferred that his reaction be humble and gracious.  That number 1 with the finger thing turns me off.  Then motioning for applause; well, that's just not me...

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I would have preferred that his reaction be humble and gracious.  That number 1 with the finger thing turns me off.  Then motioning for applause; well, that's just not me...

This was exactly@ my thought @faeriemoon.  I was watching with my mom and we both said that at the same time.  To not dish back shows you are the bigger person and also shows by not acknowledging the other person's behavior, you didn't allow him get to you.  Don't stoop to the same level.

(...similarly on these boards, lol).