Esteemed Contributor

Re: OMG! Medicare Part B sky high premium

If inflation has affected the cost of everything including the rent, it stands to reason that it will affect healthcare.  As a matter of fact healthcare spending out paces the bulk of disposable income.  The costs are ever increasing.  This is true way before we had a pandemic and discovered we are in an inflationary period.

It was the case when I worked.  Every year the portion my employer paid went up, as well as my share.  Every year.  When things go up, THEY DON'T COME BACK DOWN.

You paying $5.00 more for your cell bill?  Cable bill?  That sweater from the Q or wherever you shop that you must have?  If you want it, you'll just pay for it.  If not then you won't.  

As another poster just mentioned, who should be surprised?  Those who want to discuss politics.....that's for sure.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@SoonerLater   You can always drop your Advantage Plan and pick up Origional Medicare, ( OM) but it is often impossible to buy a supplement Plan to go with it.

Most insurance companies will not allow you to buy a supplement plan.  Those who do will charge you more... a whole lot more. They also look at preexisting conditions.

I always tell people that they should be careful when going to an Advantage Plan and should not plan on ever going back to Original Medicare. 

You need to check out your options now.  You can also look at different Advantage  Plans. You can choose a different one without penalty.

Please be advised that If you so go back to OM, you will  probably pay a penalty in Higher fees for RX coverage.

This is not the case for me.  As I have already described in a prior thread.  As I stated, I dropped Part C (Medicare Advantage Plans years ago) and returned to Original Medicare + Part D.  I prefer it.  I do better with it.  I am NOT being penalized by having to pay an exhorbitant amount for Part D.  Yes prices go up, they do every year, regardless.

This works for me.  No penalties for me @Carmie .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset   So do you have a Medicare Supplement with your original Medicare? Were you able to purchase one?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Part F would be considered a Medicare Supplement Plan.  If you worked with Medicare so long did you forget this?  You forgot it the first time too.  Then there is Supplement Letters G, K, L, M and N.  The most popular Supplement Plan (Medigap) is Plan F.  It will not be available to everyone who wants it though, effective 2020.

Wait....we did this already in another section, right?  Oh yeah.......

I was wondering why I'm finding myself typing the same stuff from before @Carmie .

Strictly speaking about Medicare:

Part A pays your hospital

Part B doc visits, tests, medical equipment and any docs seen in the hospital

Part C (is simply the letter given) to denote Medicare Advantage Plans

Part D (simply given to denote Part D) prescription Drug Plans

The above have nothing to do with Medigap/Supplement Plan Letters mentioned above.  Those supplement plans have different lettering because they offer different kinds of coverage.  Not all of them are available in every state.  Plan F Medigap was very popular for some reason and if you are not grandfathered in you will not be able to buy that Supplement type F if you will be new to Medicare.  You may have access to the other Supplement letters above.  Speak to someone at Medicare.gov or an insurance agent in your locality.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  Ok, thanks.  I think you mean PLAN F which is a supplement...a rather good one at that. You are fortunate you could buy a supplement after having an Advantage plan.  It is mostly unheard of in many areas. Insurance companies can charge a lot more and apply Pre X if they do offer it.  It is not an option for many people because of this.

Sounds like you are all set.

I have no idea what you are getting upset about.  There is no Part F.  I did not forget anything, you did.  It's not a big deal.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Part F would be considered a Medicare Supplement Plan.  If you worked with Medicare so long did you forget this?  You forgot it the first time too.  Then there is Supplement Letters G, K, L, M and N.  The most popular Supplement Plan (Medigap) is Plan F.  It will not be available to everyone who wants it though, effective 2020.

I was wondering why I'm finding myself typing the same stuff from before @Carmie .

The above have nothing to do with Medigap/Supplement Plan Letters mentioned above.  Those supplement plans have different lettering because they offer different kinds of coverage.  Not all of them are available in every state.  Plan F Medigap was very popular for some reason and if you are not grandfathered in you will not be able to buy that Supplement type F if you will be new to Medicare.  You may have access to the other Supplement letters above.  Speak to someone at Medicare.gov or an insurance agent in your locality.

Yea that is correct.  No one is saying any different.

I don't understand why you posted this info.

I do not have to speak to anyone about Medicare and Medigap coverage.  I am an expert.  I worked in health insurance since 1988.  There has been many changes over the years.  I help people understand their coverage and what is available.

I have had to call Medicare CS for other people and I was more informed than they were.  I have years of experience.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie Unemployment benefits are taxable. I wonder how many people who have chosen not to go back to work because they're getting regular unemployment plus the federal giveaway are going to be shocked when they file their tax returns and end up with a big fat balance due.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset there is no Part F, there is a Plan F.  Parts and Plans are two different things.

You have to have Parts, if you don't, you will be penalized should you need them at some point and you are no longer in your "personal" enrollment period.

You don't have to have a Plan.

Honored Contributor

I've been adding up the increases in costs for some months now-   Had already "spent" the majority of the expected SS raise on car insurance, HOA fees, and biggest of all, the increase in the cost of LTCare.  I haven't counted the increase in gas and food only because those numbers are harder for me to pin down.  

I gave up some years back expecting an actual increase, but it would be nice if once in a while the increases really paid for the increased costs of getting old!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

59 of the 60 most developed countries on our planet have successfully implemented universal healthcare. Guess who is #60. The reason we don't is because too many U.S. politicians are owned by big pharma and medical providers.