Super Contributor

Re: OMG! Medicare Part B sky high premium

@RollTide2008 wrote:
@kivah, the stock market and the economy are not the same thing.

@Duckncover, in some locations Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements are the same.

@RollTide2008 Just sliding in to say what a thrilling 4-OT win yesterday for you guys! ALA-freaking-BAMA! Well done!  Smiley Very HappyHeart  

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Nothing for seniors, but come here and you get everything free.

Ain't it the truth !

Honored Contributor

Stock market is down, also, because of the new variant out of South Africa.

I had some people tell me from the medical community it will be a good 10

yrs before this Covid will be done !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Stock market is down, also, because of the new variant out of South Africa.

I had some people tell me from the medical community it will be a good 10

yrs before this Covid will be done !

Oh at least!  Very similar to the Black Death during middle ages where Europe & Asia's population was halved.  That lasted 7 years.  This will last decades longer.  Perhaps 30-40 more years.  With the variant on the horizon, they'll have create another kind of vaccine and quickly.  I understand as we speak. 

Medical care will rise more and more in cost.  In the U.S., we don't have  health care....just insurance care.  They don't want to go bankrupt so premiums will keep getting higher.  I don't have Medicare yet.  When I do retire, I'll get that and my current work insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) as a secondary insurance.  My current insurance is great though. Blue Cross/Shield They paid everything for my terrible car accident and rehabilitation.  They came through and I was so surprised. Of course, they had to be paid back.  Every penny. The car insurance did that. 

Super Contributor

We just got our Medicare Part B Premium notice it will be increasing to $238.10 each because of a severance package he received in 2020. Also our Part D will double. Yikes!

Esteemed Contributor

my premium went from $148 to $170 but I'm still netting $121 more a month.   I will take it

Esteemed Contributor

The standard Part B premium amount in 2022 is $170.10. Most people pay the standard Part B premium amount. If your modified adjusted gross income as reported on your IRS tax return from 2 years ago is above a certain amount, you'll pay the standard premium amount and an Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA). IRMAA is an extra charge added to your premium.

If your yearly income in 2020 (for what you pay in 2022) was You pay each month (in 2022)File individual tax return File joint tax return File married & separate tax return
$91,000 or less$182,000 or less$91,000 or less$170.10
above $91,000 up to $114,000above $182,000 up to $228,000Not applicable$238.10
above $114,000 up to $142,000above $228,000 up to $284,000Not applicable$340.20
above $142,000 up to $170,000above $284,000 up to $340,000Not applicable$442.30
above $170,000 and less than $500,000above $340,000 and less than $750,000above $91,000 and less than $409,000$544.30
$500,000 or above$750,000 or above$409,000 or above$578.30
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't gotten what it is yet from SS.  I have Kaiser HMO and they have a plan called MFA.  Medical Financial Aid that I have been on for at least 4 years.

I have told many seniors in my community about it.  If you are single and make less than 36,000 a year, I make before Medicare deduction 22,334 a year.  After deduction, 2056 a year.About 1, 713 a month. My only income.

I think a married couple is 42, 000, not sure on that amt.

My monthly premium to Kaiser, depends where you live and what plan you have, is 15.00 a month. 

It's Senior Advantage.  No dental.  I also took the basic plan, because I very rarely go to Dr. and even if I did, the MFA helps.

I do not pay for prescriptions, dr. visits, lab, xray, or anything else.

This has helped so many seniors in my community.  Especially not with inflation.

They do screen you every year when it expires and you apply again.

During covid, they automatically renewed us.

No one knew about this plan because Kaiser never said anything.  A friend of mine told me and she found out by accident.  Since then, I have told every Senior I come across.

You are not eligable if you are on med

i cal. 

It is my saving grace since and especially with inflation now.

It is not through the state or federal, just Kaiser.  

Like I said, very rarely go to Dr. and take just Thyroid med. 

My budget is very tight. Now with the increase in gas and water in my area, it is tighter, but I have cut out so much.

Just got my water bill and it went up 5 dollars more and its winter.  I cut way back on the cable, but do need the internet.

I no longer have prime or netflex or any of the streaming that you have to pay.  I also cut back on food, was spending on items I didn't need, and still have enough to eat, just not a lot of snacks.  I'm still OK, but budget is tight.

I was born in the US 85 years ago, yet if I was just coming here, I would get free everything.  

I worked until I was 65, but didn't have a good retirement pkg.

I suggest if any low income people here, you might check into the Kaiser plan. My Dr. retired in 2019 Dec.  My new Dr. young and they don't have the same attitude or whatever as the older drs.  Yet she is still OK, just when i emailed him, he answered with a few hours, hers takes days.

Oh, by the way, the 600 Gov. Newsum promised low income, making 30,000 to 75,000 never happened for me.  I make much less than 30, but because i don't have child credit, nothing.  This is not for us, but you know why he did this. None of my Senior friends got any of this money either. They are not helping seniors.  I can't even get anyone on the line with the state and I filed state income tax. This money is for outsides coming in or have a green card.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kitty Galore 

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@qvcaddition wrote:

Nothing for seniors, but come here and you get everything free.

Ain't it the truth !

I am very low income, less than the 30,00 our Gov. Newsum said would get 600 stimulus.  Filed CA State taxes in April and still haven't seen it.  I heard that unless you have child credit, and just SS you won't get it.  You know who he has always wanted to help, not a citizen.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
@kivah, the stock market and the economy are not the same thing.

@Duckncover, in some locations Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements are the same.

Most insurance companies pay the Medicare allowance for their members who do not have Medicare.

Medical Providers know that they are getting paid less than what they are charging with all insurance, and most insurance pays about the same amount to them.

These overages are used for them to pay very little taxes.  They write off the overage amounts.