Esteemed Contributor

Re: OMG! Medicare Part B sky high premium

@Carmie wrote:

That is true.  Social Security is going up too as I said in the OP.

There are many people who have Medicare that do not receive a Social Security payment.  They get billed monthly, or they can use autopay which is billed for three months at a time. Not everyone goes on Medicare at age 65.

Medicare Part B deductible also will go up $30 and the Part A deductible is going up $72.

You can be sure your Medicare Supplemental coverage will also go up.  In reality, that SS raise is gone before it hits our accounts.

RX coverage also is taking a big hike for 2022.  For most people, they aren't getting a raise at all.

The middle-class always loses.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My pension provider has moved insurance companies and advantage plans three times in three years; liked Aetna, but Humana and United are not any good. I speak from experience. Don't let the ridiculous commercials on TV fool you. 
I already pay hundreds per month for meds I must take, even with Part B and the advantage plan. So far, I don't see the advantage at all. It will be getting worse. I don't like that some think seniors are not smart enough to know we are being screwed. The "increase" in social security is anything but an increase. We will be getting less and paying more also. Got a happy face email from my pension provider saying no premium increase for 2022. Bet that changes! 

Esteemed Contributor

Nothing for seniors, but come here and you get everything free.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

My pension provider has moved insurance companies and advantage plans three times in three years; liked Aetna, but Humana and United are not any good. I speak from experience. Don't let the ridiculous commercials on TV fool you. 
I already pay hundreds per month for meds I must take, even with Part B and the advantage plan. So far, I don't see the advantage at all. It will be getting worse. I don't like that some think seniors are not smart enough to know we are being screwed. The "increase" in social security is anything but an increase. We will be getting less and paying more also. Got a happy face email from my pension provider saying no premium increase for 2022. Bet that changes! 

There has been no preminum charge for my health insurance this year, but the benefits changed. It used to cover everything at 100%, now there is coinsurance between $10 and $50 and the biggest benefit loss has been on the skilled nursing facility days and payments.

My RX copays went up as well.  I don't use my insurance benefits very much, for which I am not complaining, but holy cow, these changes are going to me expensive for me if I ever need my coverage and I know they will never change for the better.

Getting old is getting expensive. My benefits are through my past employer which is a health insurance company.  You would think they would give us the best they offer, but no.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  I was notified yesterday my Supplement  through Insurance will be $20 more. I had to get new prescription coverage as my current plan will not allow the provider I chose.  Also increasing. I am lucky not to need alot of meds and the ones I have are generic and common for Srs. I agree SS increase will be cancelled out for most. I have SS and State Retirement so fortunate. 

No winners here.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie  I am keeping my private insurance Suppliment as it will reimburse me up to $50, 000 for travel out of the US. I have seen several falls with the uneven steps and cobblestones on tours. My friends Mother in 2005 fell in Budapest and the family paid $80,000 at that time flights and medical. They are wealthy so lucky. Trip insurance used to be around $500 extra a few years ago. I do not know currently what it costs?

The only thing that bugs be is my Suppliment only pays for what Medicare doesn't.  Medicare does not cover even part of Shingrx so shots are out of pocket for me. My GF had hers covered by her Suppliment Plan.

New Contributor

The reason for such a large increase was because of the new Alzheimer's drug that was FDA approved in the summer.  Its cost is very, very high.  The drug is considered controversial.  Because it got late summer approval, the public was informed after the cost was adjusted twice.  But remember if you have previously signed up for Medicare 2022  and you want to change and go with another plan, you can do so until March 31, 2022.

Honored Contributor

Is it true that if you're age 65 or older and still full time employed and have good health insurance coverage, you still have to pay for Medicare coverage?  Even though you don't need it? 

Is then Medicare your primary coverage and you employment offered coverage your 'supplement'?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Is it true that if you're age 65 or older and still full time employed and have good health insurance coverage, you still have to pay for Medicare coverage?  Even though you don't need it? 

Is then Medicare your primary coverage and you employment offered coverage your 'supplement'?

I worked full time past 65 years old. I had excellent health insurance through my company plus it was free. So I did not sign up or pay for Medicare until I retired at age 66.

I did go to HR and signed a form when I turned 65 stating that I had health insurance and was not signing up for Medicare at the present time. Talk to HR. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla 

Same here.  I worked until I was 68 and 3 months (paid into SS for about 50 years at fairly decent salaries).  I worked beyond my "normal retirement age" in order to boost my post-retirement social security income.

I had to sign up for Medicare Part A at 65 (per my HR dept) and then for Part B when I retired and had to show proof of prior insurance coverage through my employer.

------------------------------

Fortunately - I have retiree benefit of Medcare supplement which includes prescriptions - so I just have "plain vanilla" Medicare.  

----------------------------------------------------------