Esteemed Contributor

Re: OMG!! BATS IN THE ATTIC!

guano  Smiley Wink

@Plaid Pants2

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

To all those freaking out about wildlife in your attic, consider calling your pest control company and ask them about having "exclusion" services. They look at your dwellings the way a bat, rat, mouse etc would look at it-and they seal up areas where critters can get in-including vents and pipes.

Poodlepet2

Yep. They did that while here after finding Mr. & Mrs. Bat. Then coming back w/ necessary equipment before they start a family. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

Remember, it is illegal to kill bats, as most are state protected and some federally protected. It is also illegal to use any type of poisons or chemicals for bats. Bat exclusion measures should not be performed from mid-May through early-August, as there may be young bats in the colony that are still unable to fly.

via "thebatguy"

@sunshine45  I wondered if anyone was going to address this.  If you seal all the entry points during the "maternity period" you will be sealing the mother bats and babies in.  Fall is the best time to do this if you really want to get them out of your house.  We have bats right now in the peak vent of our attic.  We are waiting until late summer to seal this up and in the meantime we are installing a couple bathouses away from the house.  They have to be at least 12 to 15 feet up in the air.  They can't be attached to trees because predators can get them.  Sometimes it takes 1 to 2 years for them to "move in" to the bathouses.  Each bat eats well over 1000 mosquitoes a night.  We have not seen many mosquitoes this summer and we live in a woods on a creek.  I think it was mentioned here that it is a myth that bats will dive bomb your head and get caught in your hair.  They won't attack you unless they feel threatened or are sick. 

Do I want bats in our attic peak?  No, but we are willing to wait it out until the maternity time is over and we can seal up the opening.  Actually, they are "roosted" between a screen and the fins of the attic vent.  Thankfully, they haven't made their way into the house.  We have lived in this house for 35 years and had a bat IN the house 3 times. 

When you live in the woods, you aren't alone. 

@Shanus  Has someone in your neighborhood recently cut trees down?  Sometimes this gets them moving.  All the best, but I wouldn't seal the moms and babes in. 

Can you see our house guests???

20170716_144249 (1).jpeg 

OMG. That's frightening!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, geeze. There is nothing "frightening" about having a few bats around.

You DO understand, right, that bats help to keep the bug population down, right?

Which would you rather have?

Would you rather be overrun by bugs, or would you rather have bats around to eat the bugs and to keep them in check?

No reason to freak out about bats.

Trusted Contributor

Bats can carry rabies.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Esteemed Contributor

True, bats can carry rabies, but so can raccoons, foxes, dogs, cats, and other animals.

That's still no reason to go running around like a screaming fool just because you see a bat.

Respected Contributor

....bats can carry rabies, but they also pollinate and bees are being attacked....

I don't want bats in my roof or attic spaces, but if unWanted critters show up, under my contract with pest company, they take care of it....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

We have a bat house on our property. Important in the scheme of things. I was scratched by a cat years ago that had rabies. I had to get the shots. Any animal can have rabies.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2

i am fine with having bats around.......OUTSIDE!

lol, i prefer NOT to live with them.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eeeks I hope you get the issue solved. I don't know much about bats, but here's a funny true "bat" story for whoever wants to read.

My daughter had "a" bat in her house last weekend. My granddaughter thought it was a bird when she woke up at 3 AM and heard it. G-daughter quickly locked the 2 cats in a room. yelled for her mom (my daughter). My daughter said that's a BAT.

This is funny. My daughter put on her husbands hockey mask, and a throw over her head.  She crawled around on the floor and steps swatting gently at the bat with a hockey stick to "shoo" the bat out of the front door. All the while my middle granddaughter filmed it. Well she got the bat out (which she said was crying).

Long story short, my 3 granddaughters were upset the bat was hurt. The bat briefly was on the ground but then flew away as fine as could  be. PS The entire time my son in law was in bed and never got up. My daughter went in the room when it was over with his hockey mask on. Son in law wakes up fast saying whats going on! Daughter said well thank God it was a bat and not a burglar, wed all be dead because you just kept sleeping when we yelled for you! (lol).

Anyway the video is hysterical! And the bat was safe (thankfully because my 2 vegan granddaughters and 1 vegetarian granddaughter were very concerned for the bat!).

Lastly, they think the bat got in through the attached garage. (They dont have an attic, they live in a split level single home)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles