Respected Contributor

Re: OMG!! BATS IN THE ATTIC!

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Yardlie wrote:

OMG! Scary! A few years ago, I was sitting in bed reading, when all of a sudden I heard a flap, flap, flap sound. A great big bat flew into the bedroom. Wouldn't you know, DH was out of town at the time! I went and grabbed my tennis racket and started swatting at it. It took a nose dive and hid. I went online to see what to do. It said that you cannot kill a bat as they are a protected species. All I thought was.....what??? Aren't people a protected species too?? I turned out the light in the room so the bat would come out again. It did, and I hit it with my tennis racket. It was just stunned, but it landed in the cat bed. I threw a towel over it and took it outside. It flew off. (My cats were so excited the whole time!) I threw out the cat bed.

Good luck getting rid of those critters!

@Yardlie

Yes, bats are a protected species, because as I said earlier, they are important to the eco-system, as they eat tons and tons of bugs, such as mosquitos.

@Plaid Pants2 ... They are just creepy. The man who came to inspect our house said that they have a bad reputation, but that they do not really get tangled in people's hair, etc. He said that he didn't find any other bats, but we live out in the country, so it just probably flew in when I opened the door. He also said that he has a cabin that he goes to occasionally, and there are often bats that get in. He told us that when that happens at night, he just throws the sheet over his head and takes care of it in the morning. Smiley Frustrated

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Valued Contributor

This reminds me of the Andy Griffith show episode when Barney & Thelma Lou are in a cave and Barney said "you have to make sure the bats don't land in your hair because they  lay their eggs and then you go crazy"

LOL! Love that Barney!

cookin

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, I always thought you had a few bats in your belfry! Just kidding....

Our weekend place on Pine Island has been crazy with mosquitoes this year to the point that in addition to what the county provides, we have pro treatments....and I really don't like chemicals.

When DH finishes building his gazebo, the next project I have planned for him is to build bat houses! I would love to see them all throughout this state! They don't solve everything, but we have so many problems from chemicals....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I once had a cat (who passed away due to old age) that caught a bat and brought it home.

It was dead when I discovered it by his food dish.

I used a paper towel to dispose of it.

@Plaid Pants2......Oooooh! Yuck! 

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Bats are GOOD for the enviroment.

They eat tons of bugs.

What the removal service will do, is wait until dusk, and for the bats to fly out on their nightly forage, then block the hole, crack or whatever way they were getting in.

When the bats return at dawn, they find that they can't get back in.

Nothing personal, but I hope @Shanus isn't a neighbor of mine!  I don't want her bats coming to my house next!  I am literally petrified of those things!

Good luck @Shanus!  What a horrible problem to deal with! :-/

I wish I wasn't a neighbor of mine!!! Hate bats!

We had them in the house one time years ago when we lived in upstate NY.  Middle of the night and my son who was about 6 yrs. old at the time was shouting "Mom! There's a bat in my room!".  I told him he was just dreaming and to go back to sleep.  He then said he wasn't dreaming and that it was flying in his room!  So I ran out of bed, slammed MY bedroom door shut, ran back to bed and pulled the covers over my head and told my then husband, "YOU deal with this!".  LOL  Some mom I am, huh?!?!

That definitely would have been my reaction as well!! 😧

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

That's our house!! I have such low lighting on at night that my DD named our house -- 1313 Mockingbird Lane!

Sorry about your bat problem. But I welcome the bats around here because I know they are good bug eaters. I'm not sure where they are hanging out...hopefully not at the house. But I do see them every evening.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not afraid of bats.

Do I want them in my home?

No, but I wouldn't freak out about it if one did fly in.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@cancun08 wrote:

Bat removal service cost me $1,700.00 three yrs. ago.  

I'm really not concerned about cost at this point. I just want those bats the h**l out of my attic!!!???!?!? 😩

@Shanus

Haaaa.... I didn't wanna part with the$1,700.00, but I sure as h*ll wanted to part with the bats!!!  I totally get it!!  Lol

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Respected Contributor

To all those freaking out about wildlife in your attic, consider calling your pest control company and ask them about having "exclusion" services. They look at your dwellings the way a bat, rat, mouse etc would look at it-and they seal up areas where critters can get in-including vents and pipes.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I had people come out and seal up the chinking on my log home because bats were getting in at the ceiling ridge beam corners. They still figured out how to get in. They can flatten themselves small enough to slip into the tiniest cracks. I gave up and sold the place !

good luck, I hope are successful in removing them and keeping them out.