Honored Contributor

Re: OMG!! BATS IN THE ATTIC!

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I feel like I'm living in the Munster's house. During our scheduled termite inspection, they found bats living in the attic inside the end dormers of the roof. OMG! They're coming back to get them out and installing  screening to keep other critters out. Bats!!!

You MUST hire a bat removal service.  You cannot kill them.  By law.  We had them and there is a process on how to get them out of your house. They put a black sheet over the area they get into and they fly out at night but can't get back in.  The service will screen the parts of the house that the bats are getting into.  They may also be rabid.  Please call your local bat removal service immediately. 

@GSPgirl.  Very helpful suggestion. Our neighbors had them and this is what they did. Sorry not everyone found it helpful.

Honored Contributor

@cancun08 wrote:

Bat removal service cost me $1,700.00 three yrs. ago.  

I'm really not concerned about cost at this point. I just want those bats the h**l out of my attic!!!???!?!? 😩

Esteemed Contributor

Bats are GOOD for the enviroment.

They eat tons of bugs.

What the removal service will do, is wait until dusk, and for the bats to fly out on their nightly forage, then block the hole, crack or whatever way they were getting in.

When the bats return at dawn, they find that they can't get back in.

Trusted Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

They eat tons of bugs.

What the removal service will do, is wait until dusk, and for the bats to fly out on their nightly forage, then block the hole, crack or whatever way they were getting in.

Nothing personal, but I hope @Shanus isn't a neighbor of mine!  I don't want her bats coming to my house next!  I am literally petrified of those things!

Good luck @Shanus!  What a horrible problem to deal with! :-/

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

They eat tons of bugs.

Nothing personal, but I hope @Shanus isn't a neighbor of mine!  I don't want her bats coming to my house next!  I am literally petrified of those things!

@LdyBugz

They won't come to your house, or anybodys house, as long as they don't have a way of getting in.

Honored Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

They eat tons of bugs.

I wish I wasn't a neighbor of mine!!! Hate bats!

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@LdyBugz wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

They eat tons of bugs.

I wish I wasn't a neighbor of mine!!! Hate bats!

We had them in the house one time years ago when we lived in upstate NY.  Middle of the night and my son who was about 6 yrs. old at the time was shouting "Mom! There's a bat in my room!".  I told him he was just dreaming and to go back to sleep.  He then said he wasn't dreaming and that it was flying in his room!  So I ran out of bed, slammed MY bedroom door shut, ran back to bed and pulled the covers over my head and told my then husband, "YOU deal with this!".  LOL  Some mom I am, huh?!?!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

OMG! Scary! A few years ago, I was sitting in bed reading, when all of a sudden I heard a flap, flap, flap sound. A great big bat flew into the bedroom. Wouldn't you know, DH was out of town at the time! I went and grabbed my tennis racket and started swatting at it. It took a nose dive and hid. I went online to see what to do. It said that you cannot kill a bat as they are a protected species. All I thought was.....what??? Aren't people a protected species too?? I turned out the light in the room so the bat would come out again. It did, and I hit it with my tennis racket. It was just stunned, but it landed in the cat bed. I threw a towel over it and took it outside. It flew off. (My cats were so excited the whole time!) I threw out the cat bed.

Good luck getting rid of those critters!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

OMG! Scary! A few years ago, I was sitting in bed reading, when all of a sudden I heard a flap, flap, flap sound. A great big bat flew into the bedroom. Wouldn't you know, DH was out of town at the time! I went and grabbed my tennis racket and started swatting at it. It took a nose dive and hid. I went online to see what to do. It said that you cannot kill a bat as they are a protected species. All I thought was.....what??? Aren't people a protected species too?? I turned out the light in the room so the bat would come out again. It did, and I hit it with my tennis racket. It was just stunned, but it landed in the cat bed. I threw a towel over it and took it outside. It flew off. (My cats were so excited the whole time!) I threw out the cat bed.

Good luck getting rid of those critters!

@Yardlie

Yes, bats are a protected species, because as I said earlier, they are important to the eco-system, as they eat tons and tons of bugs, such as mosquitos.

Esteemed Contributor

I once had a cat (who passed away due to old age) that caught a bat and brought it home.

It was dead when I discovered it by his food dish.

I used a paper towel to dispose of it.